Scale ties for 3.5in ga. (Non-riding)

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

RCRR

Scale ties for 3.5in ga. (Non-riding)

Post by RCRR »

Hi folks,
I'm back to planning my (non-riding) home track again and I was curious to know if anyone has ever made any scale ties for 3.5in? The track is being built parallel to a Ga 1 track with both ground level and elevated sections so it's not really appropriate for riding.

My normal supplier for long lasting Ga 1 cedar ties (from northwestern usa) has shut down for the time being, so I am now considering plastic ties. I am not aware of any commercially available products so I am looking into making my own.

TAP Plastics produces a 3/8in thick marine grade HDPE that I hope will be appropriate for the job. https://www.tapplastics.com/product/pla ... rboard/526

I will be using code 332 (g scale) stainless steel rail to give a scale appearance with adequate strength for heavy locomotives (but not riders). Instead of spikes I plan to use marine grade stainless steel staples pushed through drilled holes in the ties bent over into the web of the rails. This method worked beautifully in Ga 1, but it may be the case that little wood screws will be better suited.

I'd be thrilled to hear if anyone has done anything like this or if you have any wisdom to share from past experiences. Thanks in advance. Jeff
steamin10

Re: Scale ties for 3.5in ga. (Non-riding)

Post by steamin10 »

May mooms ago, I built a small section of 3/4 inch track using redwood cut to size, (mostly from 4 x 4 fence posts from the fence companiy scrap pile, and ripped into strips and then tie blanks) on some one by 6 foundation boards to lay down and balast. I used an air powered T-nailer used in trim work around building doors and window trim. Being a T the nail could be shot next to the rail and go into the tie and base bonding everything togethr for my purposes. I used aluminum rail that was available. It took some trial and error to get the air pressure right, so as to seat, but not crush the rail foot. But the gun and supplies of nails were available over the net, it should be easier now.
Economic issues and personal chnages did not allow a lengthy install, alll the materials were sold off for a divorce conflict. Along with my shirt and shorts...
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.