Electric wheelchair motors

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

cbrew

Re: Electric wheelchair motors

Post by cbrew »

Mr Ron wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:28 pm Would a golf cart motor work? They definitely have the power, but they might be too large for a 1/8 scale engine.
yes, but they will been to setup to use a driveshaft like a mechanical setup
the motor would be mounted in the body with a belt or chain drive down to the driveshaft
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

cbrew wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:32 pm
Mr Ron wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:28 pm Would a golf cart motor work? They definitely have the power, but they might be too large for a 1/8 scale engine.
yes, but they will been to setup to use a driveshaft
Perhaps a bit of a typo?
Can you clarify this comment, please?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Harold_V wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:39 pm
cbrew wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:32 pm
yes, but they will been to setup to use a driveshaft
Perhaps a bit of a typo?
Can you clarify this comment, please?

H
yes, a clear case of brain running faster then my fingers trying to comment when i should be working :( :roll:
here are two pictures that i borrowed from my friends page, (Mike Baker) he rebuilds older locomotives, converting them to electric.
Here, you can see the motor mounted above the deck with chain dropping below
Motor
Motor
Here, you can see the drive shaft assembly below the deck
belly
belly
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Interesting, so a driveline with U-joints, and right angle drives of some type on each truck?
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

rkcarguy wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:56 pm Interesting, so a driveline with U-joints, and right angle drives of some type on each truck?
Those right-angle drives appear to be Tolomatic gearboxes. You would use an arrangement like this if a single traction motor is to be mounted inside the locomotive.

One disadvantage of this design is the visually unappealing effects of motor torque reaction, especially when starting a heavy train. The locomotive will try to counter-rotate the driveshafts, much as a rear wheel drive automobile does when you punch the throttle. This doesn't occur if the traction motors are mounted in the trucks (a different sort of torque reaction takes place).

Another disadvantage of this design, and one that is not readily apparent, is that in the event of a derailment, one of the trucks may get rotated significantly out of line with the chassis and bend a driveshaft, break a U-joint, or do both.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

The Tolomatic products and page are super interesting!

Also, very interesting design on that drive shaft system. Shafts in the center, chains for the trucks, and the trucks don't appear to pivot directly above the gearboxes where the shafts end.

A better design in terms of keeping alignment is Wilbur Wright's chain driven steam locomotive - he went to great lengths to ensure the entire truck pivoted around the sprocket linking the truck to the powertrain. This necessitated a universal drive sprocket - something I've never seen a commercial version of - for chains. Then he put a plane fixing ring on it attached to the chassis, and then a giant ball joint over that which the entire truck rotates around.

Here is an article about that engine. https://www.dropbox.com/s/mg8cikfcijn19 ... e.pdf?dl=1
If you look at figure 8, you can see how the chains feeding the trucks stay perfectly parallel with the engine set. It's my goal to duplicate his universal sprockets. the rest of it isn't super necessary - you could use the Cli-shay truck bearing system and it would be just fine.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Ohhh I could spend way too much money on that tolomatic stuff!
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

rkcarguy wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:25 pm Ohhh I could spend way too much money on that tolomatic stuff!
You could. The brakes on my F7 and the control (riding) car are Tolomatic calipers running on cut-down go-cart rotors. There are two calipers on the locomotive and four on the control car. That's a couple hundred dollars in brake parts. :shock:
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

That's not that bad really, I thought it would be much more money.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

My impression is that battery-powered tools have driven a tremendous improvement in motor designs and materials over the last 30 years or so. Using a really old motor is probably something to avoid.

Post by 6491 »

I am an expert on nothing but this is what works for me.
2 joined motors were from wheel chair 420 watts each 24 volts. They are turned inward and joined with sprocket in centre. It powers the loco I am sitting on and hauls 3×8 foot carriages loaded with passengers.
Single motor is 500 watt 24 volt fromanother mobility scooter. It is an ongoing project.
There is no problem moving loco with drive engaged, lever that you see can be used to disengage worm drive.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1526676054388.jpg
FB_IMG_1532574049497.jpg
FB_IMG_1527916410214.jpg
Have a good one....John.
"MALCOLM MOORE LOCO & THE 100 FOOT RAILWAY" on Facebook.

Post by 6491 »

In reference to what Harloc is saying above in relation to the chain/sprocket swivel action on the truck. I wonder if something could be concocted using the CV joint from a front drive car.
The chain/sprocket could stay in line with frame but countershaft on truck could swivel.
Just a thought....
Have a good one....John.
"MALCOLM MOORE LOCO & THE 100 FOOT RAILWAY" on Facebook.