Electric wheelchair motors

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Electric wheelchair motors

Post by Glenn Brooks »

I have an opportunity to pick up up some old electric wheel chairs and recycle them into Loco motors for a yard switcher I would like to make.

Is this a feasible idea? I have no idea whether wheel chair components, including servo motors would be a workable combination for a big heavy switcher.

Any suggestions or comments most welcome.

Thanks
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
SteveM

Re: Electric wheelchair motors

Post by SteveM »

If it is feasible, and you have extras, I might be interested in buying one from you.

Steve
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

Glenn,
Yes; in answer to your question. Wheelchair motors and their gearboxes are quite sophisticated and a very commercially reliable product. There are many aftermarket speed controls for them too. I built a 'segway clone' a while back and used two wheelchair motors that were geared down again (via chain drive) that worked out very well. Wheel size vs rotation speed can be configured for a powerful or fast yard switcher.... The gears in these motor assemblies are very precision, and most are hypoid or spiral contact for quiet running too.

BTW: you can tell at a glance if a person is working on a segway clone because they will have a broken nose.... don't ask why I know this....

BC
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I don't see that a wheelchair motor would not be a good candidate for an electric switcher. The gearing seems to be about right, if it will fit in a switcher. I have used motors from a sidewalk scooter to power an 1-1/2 scale engine, but it is not a ride-on engine. I also use motors from sidewalk kiddy cars. They do the job, but again, not for ride-on. On the smaller 3/4" scale engines, I use the motor and gearing from old cordless drills. Due to their small size, I can usually shoehorn them between wheels as nose hung traction motors.

I remember seeing a product made by DeWalt that served as a tool caddy and had a seat for someone to sit on; it was powered by a DeWalt 18V drill/driver; a lot of power in a small package.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Wheelchair motors should be a lot more robust than scooter motors. They should also have plenty of power as I would expect them capable of moving 250 pounds up an 8% grade (1:12 is the maximum grade that should be used for handicapped ramps.)

I've seen one switcher where the motor shafts were mounted vertically.

Several years ago I saw a guy motoring down the sidewalk in a motorized wheelchair - pulling a friend behind him in a manual wheelchair.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Glenn, any idea what the wattage is on them?
I know one of the modelers on here was using one and it was 1000 watts, quite a bit of power. If you went with two of them, and obviously a lot less grades to climb, you'd have a pretty good powerhouse I'd think. If you can get specs on the motors for watts amps and RPM's, you can easily work some math and figure out what gearing you need, run time, batteries, etc.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

The one unit I picked up today has 230 watt motors, one on each wheel. That seems kind of small wattage, but I haven’t opened it up to really inspect anything yet. I am thinking this is to small for my purposes.

Gpb
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:47 pm The one unit I picked up today has 230 watt motors, one on each wheel. That seems kind of small wattage, but I haven’t opened it up to really inspect anything yet. I am thinking this is to small for my purposes.
230 watts works out to 0.25 horsepower, assuming 80 percent propulsion system efficiency, a reasonable number for design purposes.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Electric motors make instant torque, so HP output is far different.
Those sound light for power though, maybe if you can get four?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I think that one downside is that the gearboxes can be worm drive, so when you stop the motor, it comes to a halt - there is no coasting.

Removing the gearbox fixes that and also allows you to use regenerative braking, if your controller has that.

Steve
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

When things come to a halt, it also puts a lot of strain on the worm gear and motor shaft and if you are moving a lot of weight they will eventually fail. If you are going to be just switching around the home RR it's probably ok, if you have train mountain plans I'd use a sprocket and chain drive setup and add some brakes.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

rkcarguy wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:14 am When things come to a halt, it also puts a lot of strain on the worm gear and motor shaft
Not to mention the driver and passengers!

Steve