Pacific Fruit Express Reefer Kits - 1½" & 1" Scale

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

SPSteam2491

Pacific Fruit Express Reefer Kits - 1½" & 1" Scale

Post by SPSteam2491 »

In addition to the ride astride car kits, I am working on reefer car kits based on the Pacific Fruit Express reefers of the 1920's-1950's. These kits will be the wood siding with wood roof version of the 1920's but can be easily converted to the steel ends and steel roof versions that you see during the 1940's & 1950's. (See the preliminary picture below)

The kits are designed to be easy to assemble but will require more work than the ride astride kits but will have multiple detail options to allow the user to determine their level of detail.

The following PFE class reefers are versions from which these kits could be made into:
R-30-1 to R-30-6
R-30-11 to R-30-14
R-40-1 to R-40-4
R-40-6
R-40-8
Many of the PFE rebuilts from the 1940's.
And more.

I will be making the kits for both 1½" and 1" scale. I am looking to gauge interest in each scale to help determine build quantities and to get a good price point. The 1½" cars will use many of the detail parts already provided by Precision Steel Car and I am working on sourcing for the 1" scale detail parts. Please comment below or send a PM if you are interested. I am looking to complete the design and have pricing by December with a product launch of January 2019.

And don't forget to check out the two Ride Astride Cars:
1" Version: http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 0&t=107211
1½" Version: http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 0&t=106731
Attachments
PFE Preliminary Design.png
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
Mike Walsh

Re: Pacific Fruit Express Reefer Kits - 1½" & 1" Scale

Post by Mike Walsh »

Color me interested. I'd love to see an actual photo of said car prior to any commitment. I have been building my caboose with individually applied stripwood... And I think I'm going to love the look. Hopefully this will be comparable!
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

Mike, I plan on having a prototype built by Thanksgiving and I will post pictures of that when it is completed. I will make sure to take construction photos as I go and share those as well.

I am planning on having the kits offered with an option to do individual boards (possibly even miniature tongue and groove too) for those that want to make the car prototypical. The standard offering will be scribed sides to keep the cost down.
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

I would be interested in an 1 1/2 scale reefer...
one_inch_railroad

Post by one_inch_railroad »

I know my friend Mark and I would be interested in a few 1" scale ones, once we see what the completed prototype looks like and cost etc.
jamesjgould

Post by jamesjgould »

I would like info on the 1 1/2" scale refer kits.
0-4-0
4-6-0
4-4-2
4-4-0
2-6-0(2)
5 batt elec
44 cars rolling stock
2400' 7 1/2" track
timmy wheeler

Post by timmy wheeler »

Interested in the 1/2" scale kit. The more prototypical/super detailed the better....

Timmy
illigitimi non carborundum
jamesjgould

Post by jamesjgould »

If you do reefers, I would assume box cars would be next ? The hobby needs a source of cheap and easy to build and detail kits like this. We already have all the gons and flats we can handle. lol !
0-4-0
4-6-0
4-4-2
4-4-0
2-6-0(2)
5 batt elec
44 cars rolling stock
2400' 7 1/2" track
timmy wheeler

Post by timmy wheeler »

I meant to type 1 1/2" scale kit.
illigitimi non carborundum
jamesjgould

Post by jamesjgould »

Any results yet ? :-)
0-4-0
4-6-0
4-4-2
4-4-0
2-6-0(2)
5 batt elec
44 cars rolling stock
2400' 7 1/2" track
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Are the kits you want to produce "riding" cars, or prototype cars? A riding car is usually very plain and built to accommodate the weight of a passenger while a prototype car is much like an HO scale model, but in a larger scale, not intended to carry any weight. Obviously the prototype car would not need the beefed up trucks and couplers of a riding car. I build in 3/4" scale and although capable of carrying passenger weight, I don't intend for it to do so. I am building a model railroad in 3/4" scale and it will be controlled by radio. I also have models in 1-1/2 and one inch scales, but not intended to carry any weight.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

An update on the kits. The design is complete and getting sent to the wood shop to get cut out. I am a month behind of where I thought I would be but the wife is now happy that the kitchen got remodeled so I can go back to working on trains.

James, if the reefers go over well, the plan would be to offer boxcar kits too.

Mr. Ron to answer your question, the end use will be up to the builder if he wants to carry people. I use my reefer car for hauling my air brake equipment and other tools needed to run my steam engine but I could also ride on the roof of the car if I needed to.
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops