Identifying this locomotive

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Nik3v

Identifying this locomotive

Post by Nik3v »

Hi everyone,
I just purchased this logo from an estate.
The seller said he remembered it as being from cannonball back in the day.
I didn’t get any info, but don’t remember them doing big gasoline units.
I have not yet removed the shell. Looking in and under I see a gas engine with electric start.
Appears then to be a hydraulic motor with forward and reverse and throttle will control speed.
Center running drive shaft with tol- matic gear boxes on 2 axles then chain to the third.
A hand operated brake under the rear walk way.
Hope someone recognizes the build and may have suggestions before I operate her.
Thanks
Nik3v
Attachments
Front side
Front side
9E35F0B6-77EB-4622-84CF-F3409A5DF032.jpeg (37.38 KiB) Viewed 7310 times
Rear side
Rear side
6226860B-8C71-49AF-87A4-EA8149E5898E.jpeg (33.84 KiB) Viewed 7310 times
Trucks
Trucks
2AA6DC62-0A65-4EB4-A06D-8CEEB98E6B11.jpeg (31 KiB) Viewed 7310 times
Pontiacguy1

Re: Identifying this locomotive

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Might be an old Railroad Supply locomotive. Back in the 1980's they used an 8HP Kohler engine, an Eaton #11 hydrostatic transmission, and tol-o-matic 2:1 reduction gear boxes on the trucks. RRSC used the two gearboxes on each 3-axle truck with a chain drive to the center one just like you describe. It is a good system and has proven to be reliable over the years. Make sure that you keep the gearboxes lubed properly.
Nik3v

Post by Nik3v »

Thanks pontiacguy.
Railroad supply is what I suspected from what I’ve seen online.
One of those mystical basement finds. The son of the owner whom I got it from said as far as he knew it’s never been operated.
I see no wear marks on the wheels, no residue of fuel in the tank.
I get no back story on the SPSF Kodachrome paint with the k-line lettering.
Thanks again
Nik3v
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

You can probably assume it was from 1992 based on the engine number. Perhaps RRSC will have records from then.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Nik3v

Post by Nik3v »

Hadn’t considered that.
Thanks
Caribou Doug

Post by Caribou Doug »

Nik3V,

I have the identical loco with a different road name. As Pontiac Guy stated, it appears to be a railroad supply and mine is an absolute joy to run. I picked mine up from a guy who was liquidating a collection and it also had zero hours on it. Great puller and certainly easy to operate. Get it on the rails and have some fun!

Doug
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

If it was never operated, it may not have any oils or fluids in it? When an engine has sat for a long time, I like to mix in some two stroke premix in the gas for some additional "top end" lube. Additionally, the engine will shed metal into the oil and during the first few uses I like to run about 15 minutes at low RPM no load and change the oil, use a thinner oil with some marvel mystery oil in it for this first fill if you like as it will help drain out more of the metal. Then run 30 minutes at moderate RPM with some load, and change the oil again. After that you should be good to go for at least a couple hours.
Stay away from on-road car oils, and run something like a motorcycle or marine oil that meets or exceeds API "SG" standards(older standard with 1300ppm zinc content). Air cooled non-roller cam engines like zinc and none of the car oils...even the good stuff like Mobil-1 synthetic, have enough of it anymore due to the e-pee-eh.
That locomotive is a beauty, hope to see you update your post with some pictures of it running.