In hopes of a build log, one day...

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

tornitore45

Re: In hopes of a build log, one day...

Post by tornitore45 »

I'm torn between spending time putting things right vs. actually making stuff.
Look at the time to organize and storing tools in easy reach as an investment. The time taken now will quickly be repaid in a more efficient work environment and pay dividends by not spending so much time looking for stuff and shuffling piles around.
I hate it when the mess starts to creep up to the point I am looking for the tool I just put down and disappears in the clutter, time to put everything away. The mess creep up because I know I will need that wrench or drill bit, the tap, the collet later so I do not put it away.
On the other hand I enjoy making shop improvement between parts, it clears the mind before to tackling a difficult part.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Cabbagestack

Post by Cabbagestack »

tornitore45 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:43 pm ...... I sweep chips 3 times a day on a full machining day; .....
My OCD, I try to vacuum at each machining operation! Not always, but a lot of the time. With the CNC mill, I try and vacuum while the machine is cutting !!! I know it sounds eccentric. Also I never blow chips off with an air gun, I always vacuum everything.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

ccvstmr wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:13 amYears ago, I started collecting Plano boxes. Menards stopped carrying these. Can find similar at Walmart in the fishing dept. These boxes are great for organizing fasteners and other parts. Get the containers with the moveable dividers...larger/longer parts can be stored in these containers as well. Again...label the front and ends of the container to identify contents. Believe it or not...you'll NEVER have enough space to store all the containers!
I found a certain style of inventory box that I liked and when they went on sale I bought out the entire inventory of every store within a 30-mile radius of where I live. I don't know what I will do with them all but they are stacked up in my basement waiting for a purpose.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"