Programming Sabertooth 2x32

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

FLSTEAM

Programming Sabertooth 2x32

Post by FLSTEAM »

Any one ever program a sabertooth 2x32?

It is running my RMI steeple cab but I would like to add an emergency stop on one of the aux inputs.
The manual is about as clear as mud to me. OR it could be I have fallen off the tech wagon.

John B.
cbrew

Re: Programming Sabertooth 2x32

Post by cbrew »

I am sure you are referring to this part of the manual?
DIP Switch 6 enables or disables emergency stops.
If DIP switch 6 is in the OFF position, emergency stops are enabled. This emergency stop is active low
and internally pulled down. To enable the M1 output, connect the A1 terminal to 5V. To enable the M2
output, connect the A2 terminal to 5V. If these connections are broken and emergency stops are
enabled, the motors will stop immediately. This might be used for a safety E-stop in a machine, to only
allow motion while a dead man’s switch is held, or to detect a disconnected control cable. Emergency
stops provide a second way to shut down the machine if the host computer crashes or locks up, as well
as reacting more quickly than a PC might. Hardware emergency stops are required for some safety
regulations. Emergency stop is not available when using serial converter mode.
how can i help with understanding how to wire this in?
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Chris
I am using the A! input for fwd/rev. The S1 input is speed. No connection to S2. P1 is brake.

Not sure what happens if the A2 connection is used. BTW I am driving two 500 watt motors. One on each output.
Factory says I need to use custom user mode for estop.

JB
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

reading a little more, it appears that the emergency stop option i referenced above is only enabled when serial mode is enabled.
that is correct, you will need to do a custom setup using the DEScribe PC software. https://www.dimensionengineering.com/info/describe
just past midway is documentation on using this software https://www.dimensionengineering.com/da ... th2x32.doc
I have not used this model so that is about as far as i can go here.

too bad they will not added the extra inputs to the larger unit.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

So far the only thing I don't like is it will start at full speed if the throttle is up when power is applied.
They have provided 5 or 6 examples of User Mode coding but no explanation as to what the codes does.

JB
one_inch_railroad

Post by one_inch_railroad »

Yea I find the documentation is certainly lacking. Like you have to be an engineering type to really just figure it out on your own. I also think if they just added a few more features to the boards without having to do custom user modes it would be perfect. Including some of the features you are trying to implement as well as being able to make the motors freewheel etc
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

the lack of free wheeling is the reason i am moving away from the syren products. need to realize these products are designed for the fighting robots. do the features are directed for that need.
I am installing a 300 amp sevcon millipak into my dismal to feed the four 500 watt motors which does have programmable free wheel and separate dynamic braking control. but if the DEScribe software is giving you heart burn, then i would not suggest this route. :)