Building a model of a GG1

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Benjamin Maggi

Re: Building a model of a GG1

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

This thread may be useful:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=101535&hilit=amtrak
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

jscarmozza wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:03 pm Ron, this is how I mounted the body on my 1" GG-1. On top of the chassis is a 3/8" plate that I referee to as the surf board, it's pinned to the cassis at two points, on one end is a snug fit in a round hole, on the other end is a sliding fit in a slotted hole. The pins are mounted on rockers so the two articulated chassis halves can see saw under the surf board. The connecting pin between the chassis is spring loaded in a self centering bearing so it can rotate, rock and twist and square itself back up. Don't know if it's the right way, wrong way...but it's the way I did it. Hope this helps. I've been screwing around with this thing on and off for about 10 years, sorry I started it. Good luck with yours.
I was confused by your photos, thinking the copper bars were part of the articulation scheme. Then I realized those copper bars were for electrical power to the motors.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Yes, the copper strips are bus bars. The engine has 12 motors and I concluded that bus bars would be the best way to connect them all (I hope).