Automatic Signals: How many tracks use them?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

ChuckHackett-844

Automatic Signals: How many tracks use them?

Post by ChuckHackett-844 »

I'm wondering how many tracks (private, club, park scale, etc.) have automatic signal systems with track-circuit train detection, specifically, how many tracks have systems that:
  • Support train separation only (i.e.: not bi-directional)
  • Support full-time bi-directional running (predominately passing sidings)
  • Support full-time bi-directional running with engineer choice of different routes (Wye's, complex interlocks, etc.)
What type of system is used? (commercial, home/club developed, relay/solid-state, etc.)

Does it support simply occupied/unoccupied or does it have "claiming" lockouts to only permit a single train to enter a block?
Regards,

Chuck Hackett, UP Northern 844, Mich-Cal Shay #2
Owner, MiniRail Solutions, LLC, RR Signal Systems (http://www.MiniRailSolutions.com)
"By the work, One knows the workman"
rkcarguy

Re: Automatic Signals: How many tracks use them?

Post by rkcarguy »

Chuck, I'm going through the build of my large scale "train set" and have built some home brew signals and relay banks for my private home track.
Just using relays, not directional, with operating rules and turnout position/train sensing across the rails to properly indicate the signals. The sensing relays have not yet been chosen, as the leakage/resistance of each block needs to be measured once installed and somewhat built to suit.
ChuckHackett-844

Post by ChuckHackett-844 »

Hmmm, it's been quiet on this subject ... I know there are at least 1/2 dozen tracks out there using full-time signals, including, I think Maricopa, LA ... and, of course Illinois Live-steamers (BDD? :-) ) ...

Everybody out Christmas shopping? :D
Regards,

Chuck Hackett, UP Northern 844, Mich-Cal Shay #2
Owner, MiniRail Solutions, LLC, RR Signal Systems (http://www.MiniRailSolutions.com)
"By the work, One knows the workman"
chiloquinruss

Post by chiloquinruss »

Train Mountain has a system for a portion of their layout. It is used mostly in the congested area around the main yard and Central Station areas. It is of the type as your #1 post and is also of the occupied / unoccupied type. During large meets their are also several powered turnouts that also include directional signals. With no dispatcher SOME of these can be controlled local. In addition to there is a section that was bi-directional for a couple of years that is now part of a larger loop but the signals are currently dark but could be fired backup if desired. Russ

Here is a link to our web page with some of the system links into the system.
http://trainmtn.org/tmrr/pages/signals_ ... _ctc.shtml
johnpenn74

Post by johnpenn74 »

Well,.... I think Absolute Permissive Block is great and am working diligently to add more. At CSME/ Eagle Point we have 1 signal bridge covers the passenger loading platform (on a curve) and both tracks do red/ green to give occupancy.

This past weekend I finally got an APB signal head working (yes works in the snow and the rain). It gives indicate based on the home, advanced block and switch position.

Back in the day at the Old NGLS track, Rich D had build a wonderful signal system that was automatic reading home and distant blocks. The catch was the track was a circle burner. APB worked really good to space out trains but didn't do much for opposing traffic.

I personally am tired of capture the flag (manual track warrant, manual block, what ever you want to call it) and aspire for something that is more prototypical. I will spend my efforts to build something greater not lesser.

JP
Attachments
1209180706.jpg
1209180706a.jpg
1209180717a.jpg
1209180718.jpg
1209180718a.jpg
John Pennington

Logging meets that actually move logs

Project
2 Mich-Cal Shays
Allen 4-4-0 Narrow Gauge Conversion
Two Reading A5a Camelback 0-4-0
USRA 0-6-0
Clishay
4 Western Wheeled Scraper NG Dump Cars
N&W 4-8-2
ICM 2-10-2
4 Modern Stake Cars
L&N Caboose
4 Big Four Conversion Gondolas

Like I'm actually gonna build all this stuff :-P
johnpenn74

Post by johnpenn74 »

One of Richards signals.
Attachments
Signal.jpg
John Pennington

Project
2 Mich-Cal Shays
USRA 0-6-0
Clishay
N&W 4-8-2
ICM 2-10-2
4 Modern Stake Cars
L&N Caboose

rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Looks good John. What's the blue light for?
That a relay matrix running that setup? Or did you buy something off the shelf?
johnpenn74

Post by johnpenn74 »

The brains in this one is just relays, like the prototype. Granted I am not using polar relays, but a hard wired array to make the signaling decisions. Off the shelf,.... HA! Pictured below is the third go around in the design. I am trying to strike a balance between what is prototypical and what is reasonable for failsafe components in the design.

The blue light is for lunar which is for restricted. The safetran standard has started to replace Permissive reds with Blue. That is, some times you can run a red (under restriction). I expect to see a lot of it on the RR as there are several locations where one goes off the signaled block into a unsignaled block.

I am using blue to indicate restricting proceed rule 290 instead of 291 and 294. For this project I want use multiple heads on masts but simplify what is displayed so as not to confuse the user.

Most operators would not see the difference in a mast with a plate "P" or block number distringushing between 291 and 292. I feel the color is the best method.

In most cases it indicates you are going into UNSIGNALED territory, hence the need for restricted speed.

JP
Attachments
1202180905.jpg
Why the blue 002.png
John Pennington

Project
2 Mich-Cal Shays
USRA 0-6-0
Clishay
N&W 4-8-2
ICM 2-10-2
4 Modern Stake Cars
L&N Caboose

Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Have a chart of the new signal aspects with the new automatic signals at EPRR?
johnpenn74

Post by johnpenn74 »

Yes I do!!!!
Its real simple.

Route indication, with a very reduced amount of aspects.

JP
Attachments
Eagle point Signal Rules 001.png
John Pennington

Project
2 Mich-Cal Shays
USRA 0-6-0
Clishay
N&W 4-8-2
ICM 2-10-2
4 Modern Stake Cars
L&N Caboose

rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

The neat thing about a relay matrix system is that it's easily added to, once you figure it out. Just add another relay matrix and wires/diodes back to the prior blocks and you've just expanded. Hardest part is probably burying the wires.
Because my line is going to end up like a big backwards "J" around my home and driveway, I'll have 3-4 spots where I can tap into 110V power near the tracks, so I expect wiring the signal system to be pretty easy as I won't have to run power any long distances, only the "sensor" wires for each block between the relay cabinets.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

johnpenn74 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:49 am Yes I do!!!!
Its real simple.

Route indication, with a very reduced amount of aspects.

JP
Good luck getting your members to remember all that. :)
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D