New builder

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

rhbroehl

New builder

Post by rhbroehl »

Hi,

My name is Rob and my son and I recently purchased an unfinished LE 0-4-0 that I could use some guidance in completing.

I have restored cars, tractors, other equipment but nothing quite like this but looking forward to the challenge.

One of my first questions has to do with the suspension. The PO made the left springs out of solid steel blocks milled to look like leaf spring packs. I have done some research and have read where people state the using real spring steel to make the packs results in springs that really do not do anything at all since they are too stiff. Is this correct or should I make up springs?

Again, this is just the start. I will also be looking for help on throttle valves, plumbing, lubricator, etc....

Thanks

Rob
NP317

Re: New builder

Post by NP317 »

I would use the solid "pseudo-spring" blocks first.
After you have the locomotive running and feel confident, you can always replace the blocks with real springs.
But it should not be required for your 0-4-0, as long as it has a 3-point suspension.
Keep us updated!
~RN
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Buy the blueprint set if you don't have it already. There are a bunch of these LE 0-4-0s out there running, so it is a good design. I prefer leaf springs, but they are not a requirement. On an 0-4-0, the front axle needs to have some pivot ability, springing or something so it can follow the track.
Erskine Tramway

Post by Erskine Tramway »

Welcome, Rob.....

One thing you can do, is bore a hole up into the center of the spring block to fit a coil spring, in one pair of blocks. That will give you the three-point suspension you're looking for. You can then find an appropriate coil spring for the amount of movement you need.

Mike
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Rob you might post where you are from....

John B.
rhbroehl

Post by rhbroehl »

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Also, we are located in Johnstown Ohio which is 30 miles NE of Columbus.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

I am from Worthington, also have a summer home in Bucyrus.

JB
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Have you been to Mill Creak Central RR? Great RR and lots of nice people to ask questions to. Just a hop skip and a jump from you.

JB
rhbroehl

Post by rhbroehl »

I too am from Worthington and my parents, brother, and in-laws still reside there. We have also been to MCC a few times and that is what helped me get over the hump and get into the hobby.