Older Pacific Electric model

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

cp4449

Older Pacific Electric model

Post by cp4449 »

Question for someone. I am restoring a older (early 1960-70's) built Pacific Electric motor model that is in one inch scale. The unit has 4 motors on each axle. The motors have four wires coming from them. The original person wired it with a red, a black, and a green to each truck. I am assuming that the green is ground, the red is positive, and the black is negative.

Here is the odd part: All wires come to a barrier strip. the red form the front truck has the black from the rear truck wired together. The black from the front has the red from the rear tied together. The greens come together. Seems wrong to me. I would assume that red to red, black to black.

There is no writing on the motors themselves. I have attached photos of the trucks. If anyone from the elder group recognizes the motors and can remember who made them, brownie points to you. If you can tell me how to wired this set up as a positive/negative from a controller motor output, even better.

Stumped in Los Angeles.
Attachments
Unknown-4.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
Mike Walsh

Re: Older Pacific Electric model

Post by Mike Walsh »

I am responding based on the assumption that the trucks are exactly as pictured. So Truck #1 has the gearing on the engineer's side rail, whereas Truck #2 has the gearing on the Fireman's Side rail.

This would result in an opposite rotation if the motors were wired up red/red between the two trucks. However if my above scenario is correct, that means the red needs to be wired to the black to run in the proper rotation to give you rotation of the wheels. Otherwise red (Truck 1) on red (truck 2) would result in the frame trying to tear itself apart.
cp4449

Re: Older Pacific Electric model

Post by cp4449 »

That is right Mike. They are opposite each other. The other truck is the same way.
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member