Oahu RRwy Passenger car build question

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Erskine Tramway

Re: Oahu RRwy Passenger car build question

Post by Erskine Tramway »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:37 pm Hello Mike and Gregg,

Iam back home in Seattle after working on the Oahy Railway coach for the winter. We made some progress that I documented in the Museum section, under Oahu Rr thread. Mainly installing the 2x10 truss plates on both sides of the car frame.

Now, back home here in the PNW, have decided to set about build8ng one or two riding 10’ riding cars in 3” scale for my backyard rail 12” pike.

mike, if you read this, may I ask which volume you have that references the car diagrams you scanned to this thread a couple of months ago??

I had to leave all the drawings and reference books at the RR, so only have your scans of the wood car construction pages to go by. I researched your book and discovered there is something like a 6 volume set. I’d like to order the volume relating to car construction.

Thanks much for any info you might be able to provide.

Glenn
Hi Glenn...

It's called "Cars-Construction Handling and Supervision". It doesn't have a number, but it's part of Kirkman's 1908 "The Science of Railways" series. The first section concerning the actual building of cars is 435 pages, then, there's a second section about the organization of the Car Department, that runs another 269.

I've got that one, and the "Air Brake-Construction and Working" volume. I picked them up in the basement of Owen Davies' Bookstore in Chicago, while I was in high school, for a couple bucks apiece. That was before the big 'restore everything you can get your hands on' era, so nobody wanted them. I also got a bunch of ICS booklets on Locomotives and related subjects, and several Westinghouse Air Brake booklets, back to 1879.

Mike
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Thanks Mike, I’ll start looking for a copy. Correction: 3 minutes- found an original volume on Amazon! Apparently he has a six volume set. Very prolific writer apparently.

Much appreciated,
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Erskine Tramway

Post by Erskine Tramway »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:20 pm Thanks Mike, I’ll start looking for a copy. Correction: 3 minutes- found an original volume on Amazon! Apparently he has a six volume set. Very prolific writer apparently.

Much appreciated,
Glenn
Good deal, Glenn.

I doubt that one writer did all those books, they are textbooks, after all :D

Mike
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

There is a terrific group of photos of one of the ex-D&RGW short cabooses with the side sheathing off. Even short cabooses were essentially truss structures.

All the verticals were mortised and tenon joints with the side sills, just as your drawings show.

The boxcars and stock cars all had rods pulling everything together, with cast plates for the rods to run through at the top and bottom.

I bet Branchline has drawings that show those rods and castings.

When I built my 1-1/2” scale stock car I joined the verticals to the side sills in a similar but simpler fashion. Instead of rectangular mortise and tenon joints I drilled round holes in the ends and in the sills, and glued dowels in. Worked great!
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hey Smoke! Using dowls is a great idea. Mortise and tenion might also be advantageous in certain parts of the scale models - particularly in 3” scale. Iam thinking corner posts, maybe end framing. The old drawings we have on the OL&R all show the tensioning rods running everywhere. Iam playing around with the idea with building one car exactly to these original standards. Lots and lots of work in the framing. But certainly be a kick to pull it off.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....