Waterproof Glue For A Coal Load

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

one_inch_railroad

Waterproof Glue For A Coal Load

Post by one_inch_railroad »

Does anyone know of a waterproof glue that works well to glue down a coal load in a hopper car? A friend and I bought some hoppers off DLS a few years ago that has a dummy coal load. The original owner said it was glued down using regular white glue. It works great until the car gets wet and the water dilutes the glue and the coal load becomes soft and shiftable.

I was looking at various waterproof wood glues online but they all say they dry to a brown color. Not sure if this would show on the coal load.

Just wondering what other people are using out there.
BAdams

Re: Waterproof Glue For A Coal Load

Post by BAdams »

Here's some info from an earlier post:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=99070&p=308505&hil ... ad#p308505
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Sounds like a goey mess. Could you let it dry out and then seal it with some sort of clear product so it's waterproof?
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Hmmm. Are you sure it's the glue that's failing and that the coal isn't absorbing the water and thus breaking the bond?
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
one_inch_railroad

Post by one_inch_railroad »

Ok I will try the polyurethane. Thanks for the info.
optigman

Post by optigman »

Mix lampblack with the brown waterproof glue until it kind of matches the color of the coal. We used to mix lampblack with all kinds of plastics such as epoxy and it did not seem to affect the cure time or hardness too much. It certainly blackened up the parent plastic though.
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

Don’t run in the rain 🤗
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
chiloquinruss

Post by chiloquinruss »

Just thinking out loud here, but what about that liquid rubber stuff Flex Seal I've seen on TV. Pour a little in the space and then add the coal. Then give the coal a little downward pressure to set in the goo. I would also go to their website and see if they have some thinner and that would aid in the process. I have not tried this stuff, just thinking. Russ
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

I would mix up some two-part epoxy and brush it all over the top. It will coat everything, provide a water-proof seal, and if the coal appears shiny it would be somewhat realistic. I use it for making coal loads in G scale tenders and it works well.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"