PRR E44

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

rwheller

PRR E44

Post by rwheller »

Has anyone thought of building a PRR E44 electric locomotive? Just thinking of something that nobody but a PRR fan would want.
PRR5406

Re: PRR E44

Post by PRR5406 »

Haven't heard of one, but I do love the "odd ball" models people build and show off. There's something very nice about keeping the design in operation. Pennsy had a slug of steam and electric designs that they never preserved. That would be a collection to see!
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I am a big fan of electric engines. I have built a model of a Swedish, class D, 1-C-1 in 1-1/2 scale; an "AEGIR" diesel-electric switcher, also in 1-1/2 scale. This model was of the first commercially successful diesel-electric In the U.S. that was back in 1924. I started building a model of a Pennsylvania DD-1 in 1-1/2 scale, but switched to 3/4 scale due to lack of room. I built a model of a Great Northern electric, the only locomotive using 3 phase power as used in the Cascades. Another 3/4 scale locomotive is of a Pennsylvania B1 electric switcher. I am currently in the process of building a GG-1. Even in 3/4 scale, it is still almost 5 ft long. I draw all my plans using Autocad before I start building. I had plans drawn for a NYC 1-Do-1 electric, but due to a computer hard drive crash, lost the drawings. These are all powered by motors and batteries, but I don't run them. I build using various materials, mainly aluminum and wood and intended to be for display only. I have a complete wood and metal shop so I make all my parts. At 84, I don't intend on making many more models. I get as much pleasure in drawing the plans as in operating them. I have been interested in trains from childhood and grew up surrounded by the Pennsylvania, Long Island and NYC railroads in New York City. The E44 would be a very interesting model to build and it has been in the back of my mind for a while. I have seen models of the E44 in HO and O scales, but not any bigger. So far, my models have been fairly easy to build, but the GG-1 with it's compound curves presents a challenge. As a retired engineer, I enjoy challenges. I might add that building train models has been a learning curve and my earlier models are not as authentic as my later ones, so later on, I will have to go back and bring them up to date. Where others buy items like couplers and wheels, I make my own. I have posted some pictures on this forum if you are interested.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Ron: I'd like to see some photos of the B1 and DD1.
-Dick
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

PRR5406 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:54 pm Ron: I'd like to see some photos of the B1 and DD1.
-Dick
Both locomotives are at an 80% completion as I shelved them in order to work on the GG-1. I lost any photographs I had of them when my hard drive crashed and the computer tech told me it couldn't be recovered. I will take new photos and try to post them here. I have to figure out how to transfer from my cell phone to the new laptop I am now using. Give me some time to figure it all out. Thanks for your interest. There is a photo of my AEGIR posted back in 04/20/2018 of this riding scale forum.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi