Comments on train unloading facilities

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

rkepler

Comments on train unloading facilities

Post by rkepler »

I'm finally putting my track together and one of the final decisions is just what sort of unloading facilities to provide. I don't expect many visitors as it's going to be a very small track, but I'd like to provide some space for loading/unloading.

I've used everything from Train Mountain's stuff to a friend's swing arm with a trailer jack. Some are precise but slow, some have had hydraulics that were frighteningly jerky. Almost all had both good and bad features.

I'm leaning towards pouring a largish pad, something 20x30, that butts against my gravel driveway. Then build a 12x4 hydraulic table on casters that can roll all over the pad and up to track at the edge of the pad. My current plan is to have the tip of a Y butt onto the pad, but after putting down the roadbed it almost looks better to run a leg off a loop to intersect the pad at one corner. I already have power and water out there, will be running air line when some steaming bays are put in (also off the pad).

I think something like that would give the most flexibility and might even let me run stuff down from the shop. Thoughts?
Erskine Tramway

Re: Comments on train unloading facilities

Post by Erskine Tramway »

Hi...

I don't know how well this applies to your question, but when I built my Car Shed, I put a door in the back wall and extended the center track so that a vehicle could back up to the door for loading and unloading. Last year, we successfully transferred a 7-1/2" gauge Pacific in and out for test runs, from a large trailer, using a short ramp. Here's a couple pictures of the building.

Mike
Attachments
10-18-16 front finished.jpg
10-28-16 back end finished small.jpg
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

I’ve always liked the idea of a fixed ramp and a short movable bridge section to connect to the back of a pickup, or trailer. Of course, pick up bed heights are often different heights, so some way to adjust the height of the bridge is handy.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Here is the transfer table I have on my RR. Made from a 3 Ton hydraulic lift table mounted on a carriage with rollers to align loading/unloading vehicles. It will go down to 18" and rise to 6 ft.

John B.
Attachments
DSCN5165.JPG
chiloquinruss

Post by chiloquinruss »

We modified a Harbor Freight cycle lift to use at the mini unload yard at Appendix. In the photo the bottom right photo shows how we extended the base be about 18 inches. This particular lift is good for about 500 pounds. Russ

jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

rkepler wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:44 pm I'm leaning towards pouring a largish pad, something 20x30, that butts against my gravel driveway. Then build a 12x4 hydraulic table on casters that can roll all over the pad and up to track at the edge of the pad.
This'll work and also have the advantage of being able to spin the table end-for-end to turn equipment so it's 'the right way' for either the track or for loading. Make sure to have some kind of positive lock between the table and the track's abutment so the table can't scoot out when something is rolling onto it. A simple hinged bar with a hook of some kind ought to be enough, with a pin on the abutment for the hook. The concrete pad will be expensive but it's often handy for other things. But the other ideas shown all look good too!
John Brock
eastsidebuzz

Post by eastsidebuzz »

Will a forklift work? Just wondering if that is a solution.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Then build a 12x4 hydraulic table on casters that can roll all over the pad and up to track at the edge of the pad.
I think I would use pneumatic tires if I went this route. Otherwise I'd be afraid that hitting a rock with a caster might ruin my day.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

eastsidebuzz wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:03 am Will a forklift work? Just wondering if that is a solution.
I think that might be problematic because of fine motion control issues and balancing of a forklift.
Granted, a skilled operator is quite capable, but I would be loath to trust my locomotives to a forklift from my truck to a track.
RussN
eastsidebuzz

Post by eastsidebuzz »

Interesting. I use one of these add a set of 84" extensions and I can lift anything. 3k is the counter balance to my lift where I might feel uncomfortable tipping forward. I think these trains are under that.

http://www.nmc-wollard.com/uploads/cont ... 11-sml.pdf
https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Pallet-Ext ... ast_bbp_dp
NP317

Post by NP317 »

A forklift would require a method to interface with different locomotives to be useful.
Can be done, I'm sure. Keeping a locomotive on its wheels is the best solution.
RussN
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

You'd want to make a rack of some sort, like a section of bridge/track to roll the trains onto and then move it with the forklift. I'd want to strap them down just to be safe especially on unpaved surfaces, and include rectangle tubes or something that the forks would pass through so it can't flip off the top of the forks. Forklifts ride poorly and your load will bounce around a lot even on pavement.