Lettering on tongue/groove

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

FLSTEAM

Lettering on tongue/groove

Post by FLSTEAM »

I am getting ready to letter a car with tongue and groove siding. Just wondering what is the best choice. I used vinyl letters on my caboose and just cut the letters over a groove. Seems to work fine but this time I am thinking about using a mask and spray painting. Any suggestions?
Can or do you spray a clear coat over either method ?

John B.
makinsmoke

Re: Lettering on tongue/groove

Post by makinsmoke »

Hi John,
Others have mentioned you can heat the vinyl mask with a hair dryer and push it down into the grooves.

I used a stencil brush, and still had a little bleed under. Easily touched up with a small brush.

Take care,
Brian
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

I use a stencil and paint all my lettering. If you use a low pressure airbrush it does not bleed under the stencil.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Kevin S

Post by Kevin S »

John, both the methods mentioned by Tim and Brian will work out fine. One suggestion would be to paint the lettering color first then apply a positive image paint mask followed by the main color. This will lessen the chance for overspray on other parts plus there is less masking to do. And yes you can apply a clear coat over vinyl lettering.
Attached is a picture of my reefer, I sprayed the lettering color first followed by the main color, the logo is a water slide decal.
Attachments
sn reefer.jpg