Looking for rail

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Gra2472

Looking for rail

Post by Gra2472 »

Good morning

I recently inherited (for the lack of a better word) 60 pieces of aluminum rail from my father, who got it from a friend about a decade ago. This particular rail is metric. Yep, metric. I tracked down (no pun intended) the original supplier in the UK, but they refuse to ship to the US for "insurance reasons." The rail I have is 21mm tall, and the base is 19mm. I know that I can make some compromise joints and fit it up to 1" rail with some work, but I would like to find matching rail if I can. Anyone out there have some of this oddball metric rail laying around?
7.5" Allen Mogul
3 x 7.5" West Valley Baldwin Westinghouse Electrics
The railroad is almost done.
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
FLSTEAM

Re: Looking for rail

Post by FLSTEAM »

I am going to take a wild guess....There are probably two chances of finding that in the US.

John B
Gra2472

Post by Gra2472 »

Probably only at the well known supplier "Slim and None." I figured it would be unlikely, but asking is better than guessing.
7.5" Allen Mogul
3 x 7.5" West Valley Baldwin Westinghouse Electrics
The railroad is almost done.
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I think you could probably find someone overseas somewhere else would make it, but they'd likely want you to order a very large quantity. I'd use it for a yard track, siding, or spur and make some adapter joiners, as commonly done in full scale trains.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

If nothing turns up, you could easily make up some fish plates out of small bar stock. Mill one end shorter than the other to bolt the two different rail profiles together. Bit of shim under the shorter base and your good to go. This is a fairly common practice in the Grand Scales. Also the big boys did this all the time with different weights of rail on their mainline systems.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....