Alcos are my favorite!

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Benjamin Maggi

Re: Alcos are my favorite!

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Marty,
I see that your Little Engines RS-3 is for sale. Did your intentions change, or was it just not "steam locomotive" enough for yoU?
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
LVRR2095

Re:

Post by LVRR2095 »

Mike Walsh wrote:Someone needs to take the RS3, ask Mike for an extra short-hood casting, then make a hammerhead RS3 just like the Lehigh Valley 211 (in reality, a EMD hybrid.... the 211 is on display at the Rochester and Genessee Valley Railroad Museum ( http://www.rgvrrm.org ), and still operating!)

Mmmm.... RS3... 8)
Mike, the 211 was NOT an EMD Hybrid when it worked for the Lehigh Valley RR. The 211 did not have its sex change operation until after the Conrail merger. When I ran the 211 on the LVRR it still had its ALCO diesel engine and 24 RL brakes. After the CR merger many ALCO RS units were sent to Juniata where their prime movers were swapped out for spare EMD diesels removed from scrapped E-8 passenger locomotives, and AAR control stands installed with 26L brake equipment.
Keith (retired LVRR Engineer and CR Road Foreman of Engines)
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Benjamin Maggi wrote:Marty,
I see that your Little Engines RS-3 is for sale. Did your intentions change, or was it just not "steam locomotive" enough for yoU?
There are a number of reasons I put the RS-3 up for sale. I am buying back a Mogul I built in 1988, and so I'm looking for a way to replenish my 'discretionary funds'. Like most live steamers I have too many projects - I've decided to shed some. And yes, given the choice between steam and diesel...
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

I broke down and bought batteries and cables this afternoon. I'm going to see if I can get the RS-3 running. May have a better shot at selling it as a running locomotive!
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

My friend Glenn Grasley came over Thursday evening and we wired up the RS-3. Friday we took it to the White Creek open meet. We ran it about 15 miles around that beautiful track with no problems.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Here is a video of the test run at White Creek last Friday.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=K7YIQHCP6kc
And a view from the riding car.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6fcnBPAg4TA
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Since I won't have time to get my mogul back together I will have the RS-3 at the Discover Live Steam Meet at the Mill Creek Central.
ScaleModeler1974

Re: Alco C420

Post by ScaleModeler1974 »

catalpa wrote:As long as we're talking Alco, I thought I might send up a picture of my new locomotive from Kamilion, up in Michigan. It will eventually become a NKP C420, after a few modifications, such as low-hood headlights and removal of the dynamic brake hood. I've had it out a half dozen times and I'm very happy with the performance. It's pulled everything I've been able to couple to it. It is powered by a golf cart motor and 6 six volt batteries. It has an air over hydraulic disc brake on the drive shaft, with a small air compresor on board.

G.F.Payne
B'more, MD

Be careful with that loco and keep an eye on the bearings and axles.

A member of the club I belong to had an axle shear off at the bearing and got stuck on the main for a while.

His loco was from Kamilion.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

I would love to see a high hood ALCO C420, as we ran on the Long Island Rail Road, alongside RS1's, RS2's, RS3's, and a fleet of S1 and S2 switchers. No EMD units in those days! The Century units were the smokiest locomotives winding up to climb Cold Spring Hill. Good memories.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."