Alcos are my favorite!

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Marty_Knox

Alcos are my favorite!

Post by Marty_Knox »

Some people may be shocked by me posting here - but they don't know my background. I know I shocked Clover when I told her 'I like Diesel Locomotives more than Steam Tractors!' I worked for the Morristown & Erie in Northern NJ from 1981 -1984. When I started there we were running an Alco RS-1 and re-building an Alco S-4. Once the S-4 was running we re-built the RS-1. I also was involved in purchasing two C-430's from Conrail and two Century 424's from the TP&W. One of my fun memories is listening to some HO modelers discuss the difference between Alco 424's and 425's. They were surprised when I told them 'They had different main generators' - something that's hard to tell in an HO model.
timmy wheeler

Post by timmy wheeler »

Marty, are you going to build an Alco in 1.5" scale? Timmy
illigitimi non carborundum
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

uh oh... if we are talking ALCOS doesn't it belong in the Steam category? Or is steam not the same as billowing clouds of black smoke? :)
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

I have one of Mike Venezia's RS-3's on order. I'll paint it CNJ 'Sea Foam Green' with the yellow stripes.
wbarbe

Alco RS3

Post by wbarbe »

Here is a picture of my RS3.
Bill
Attachments
Myloco3.JPG
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

I LOVE RS-3s, but I am thinking maybe someday I will build a high-nose C-420 like the LA&L shortline in Rochester has. They remind me of RS-11s, but not quite.

The Little Engines RS-3 will be very interesting to see one it hits the market.
timmy wheeler

Post by timmy wheeler »

Is their any info available on the LE alco. I looked at the web site an there is no mention. I'm especially interested in the trucks. Timmy
illigitimi non carborundum
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Someone needs to take the RS3, ask Mike for an extra short-hood casting, then make a hammerhead RS3 just like the Lehigh Valley 211 (in reality, a EMD hybrid.... the 211 is on display at the Rochester and Genessee Valley Railroad Museum ( www.rgvrrm.org ), and still operating!)

Mmmm.... RS3... 8)
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Mike Walsh wrote:Someone needs to take the RS3, ask Mike for an extra short-hood casting, then make a hammerhead RS3 just like the Lehigh Valley 211 (in reality, a EMD hybrid.... the 211 is on display at the Rochester and Genessee Valley Railroad Museum ( www.rgvrrm.org ), and still operating!)

Mmmm.... RS3... 8)
Hammertime! Mike, that is one of the ugliest engines I have ever seen. And, as a Rochester native, I love it!
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Timmy, there are some pictures in the Live Steam Marketplace section.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Mike Walsh wrote: then make a hammerhead RS3 just like the Lehigh Valley 211 (in reality, a EMD hybrid.... the 211 is on display at the Rochester and Genessee Valley Railroad Museum ( www.rgvrrm.org ), and still operating!)
Hi Mike, it was not an EMD hybrid when the Lehigh Valley RR owned it! It was only after Conrail that some of the RS-3's were sent to Juniata to be converted by replacing the ALCO prime mover with an EMD engine removed from scrapped E-8's. I can tell you as a former LVRR engineer that when they had the ALCO motors, they were great little road switchers. After Conrail converted them, we referred as "Christine Jorgenson's."
You can tell the converted ALCO by the dual exhaust stacks that the EMD engines required.
Keith
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Here is the link to the discussion of this engine, with pictures posted by Mike of Little Engines:

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... hp?t=80762