3/4" scale F-3 fiberglass shells update

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

JohnHudak wrote:Dan, Here's the style of "F" I'm modeling, three portholes, screen vents, no small square vents on the side panel, two front headlights, large numberboards....
John
... and a GREAT paint scheme. I love the Erie Lackawanna paint scheme on these units. I am biased, though, as my first train set's engine was painted like this.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Hi all, I have finally recieved truck frame castings from the foundry, and took a few pics... The shells look a lot better after a coat of gray primer... I'm also working on the chassis' as well.. Hope to have an A-A set of Pennsy F's ready for Cabin Fever....
Also, does anyone have any close-up pics of the antennae on top of Pennsys "F's"
John
Attachments
misc 081.jpg
misc 083.jpg
misc 078.jpg
misc 080.jpg
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

I did a search of the Model Railroader Index and saw that the S Gaugian magazine ran an article called "Pennsy's Antennas" in their July/August 1989 issue, page 18. I Never read the magazine, but I believe the magazine is still in print.

Model Railroad also has had a couple of pictures in it of them over the years, mostly connected to their Q/A sections where people write in asking "why do Pennsy F/E units have hand railings along the roof." If you cannot find anything else, I can pull out my 20 years worth and have a sit down to try and find those pages.

EDIT: January 1987 issue of Model Railroad also has a picture of an E8's roof on page 161.
Last edited by Benjamin Maggi on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fender

Post by Fender »

JohnHudak wrote:Also, does anyone have any close-up pics of the antennae on top of Pennsys "F's"
John
Best I can offer:

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/prr/prr1522ads.jpg
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
makinsmoke

3/4" scale f3 fiberglass shell update

Post by makinsmoke »

John,
As much Santa Fe F unit stuff in one place as you probably care to dig through in one night.....

http://atsfrr.net/resources/funits/index.htm

A couple of quick notes. A few short years after delivery, these things began to be modified to the point where F3's and F7's were sometimes indistinguishable. Same or different fans, chicken wire replaced by stainless louvers, two styles of louvers, different porthole arrangements, one or two headlights, etc.

On the Santa Fe, initial usage of F3's with two headlights denoted passenger service. Also, the pilot was identical in freight and passenger, they just had different steps on the sides.

Nice work.

Brian
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Benjamin Maggi wrote:I did a search of the Model Railroader Index and saw that the S Gaugian magazine ran an article called "Pennsy's Antennas" in their July/August 1989 issue, page 18. I Never read the magazine, but I believe the magazine is still in print.
Ben, Thanks... I just ordered that issue from Railpub..
John
makinsmoke

3/4" scale f unit fiberglass shell

Post by makinsmoke »

Robert F. Nordstrom webpage:
Attachments
60008.jpg
makinsmoke

3/4" scale f unit fiberglass shell update

Post by makinsmoke »

And of course Jim Murray's excellent 1.6 scale treatise on the subject:

http://www.mdmlocomotiveworks.com/PAGES ... photos.htm
Attachments
53089097305_0_ALB.jpg
WJH

Post by WJH »

I need to make a post about introducing myself, but John, I must say I also love the old cab units.

I grew up in CT, and my entire life up until I moved away from CT, I was blessed with having the old FL9's running through my town. There were a couple of F10's that were simply rebuilt F3's. Those old cab units are about the only diesels I like. Last year they were finally taken off the system replaced with ugly shoe box genesis loco's.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Hi RB, I also like the first generation diesels, along with all steam! But that's why I did the F's, almost every road had them, and they just look so cool!
John
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Not only is the body shape very graceful, but it is a perfect canvas for lots of great paint schemes.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Here's a pic of the wife applying fiberglass to shell #6... This is an all day project, as you need to wait about 2 hrs between gel coats (2) and layers of glass (3).. She enjoys doing it, and who am I to not let her have some fun :wink:
Art, This will be your shell. I'm expecting castings from the foundry next week as well...
John
Attachments
Picture 011.jpg