Holy Geepers Batman!

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

mattmason

Holy Geepers Batman!

Post by mattmason »

I thought I would show you around the recent roster of the American River Navigation and Railway. The railroad just added two new GP9s, a scarlet and grey SP with full light package and a tiger stripe ATSF, and was storing two black widow SP units until delivery at Christmas to a railroad in Poway, CA.

All 4 units were taken to the SVLS track in Sacramento for photos before the black engines went south as the ARNR track does not have any good locations where all four could be put together. This was the last time all of these units were together after more than 15 years as a set. They are all 1" scale, 4 3/4" gauge. Three of the units can be lashed up as an MUed set as one of the black widow units is a dummy. Iron Pony locos can have two powered and unlimited dummies put together.

This was also a good test of the recently restored 1" track at SVLS.
Attachments
The SP units side by side. The Mars lights work on both units electronically. The black widow has the single "pulse", and the gray one has the signature SP double pulse from the figure 8 pattern.
The SP units side by side. The Mars lights work on both units electronically. The black widow has the single "pulse", and the gray one has the signature SP double pulse from the figure 8 pattern.
Profile shot.
Profile shot.
Looking towards the table.
Looking towards the table.
More SP only.
More SP only.
I get to keep the ATSF and scarlet and gray SP units. The other two are now in the San Diego area. He is happy as a clam and I have deliver's remorse (the feeling one gets when delivering such a nice model after looking at it in your shop for three weeks
I get to keep the ATSF and scarlet and gray SP units. The other two are now in the San Diego area. He is happy as a clam and I have deliver's remorse (the feeling one gets when delivering such a nice model after looking at it in your shop for three weeks
Around the steaming bay.
Around the steaming bay.
Pulling out of the steaming bay.
Pulling out of the steaming bay.
On the mainline with a train.
On the mainline with a train.
Matt Mason
Donhost4449

Nice

Post by Donhost4449 »

Very nice, Matt. Looks like you had fun.

~Chris
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Matt,

Always nice to have a few Black Widow painted locomotives in the shop even if for a short time.

The Scarlet and Grey Geep reminds me of a trip down the Westside line out of Tracy back in April of 1973. We had the #3325 only 5 days out of the GRIP rebuild program in Sacramento. It was as perfect as I have ever seen a locomotive and the cab still smelled of paint. Kodak lost the photos I took that afternoon in full side lighting. The clean blue sky a day after a rain storm with a few wispy thin clouds made for images I will never get to see.

Looks like you had way too much fun,

Robert
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Matt,
I think that the engines you got to keep look nice. However, there are very few schemes that (in my opinion) look as nice as a Black Widow scheme... especially on a high-nose Geep (one of my favorites).

Take heart that at least someone will now enjoy these engines and more people can see them, instead of being buried in a basement or garage somewhere under a tarp to collect dust and be forgotten.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

Ben,

They weren't just laying under a tarp. The owner had them were he could see them each day he drove in his garage and the gray geep was in his study. All four locos will get a lot of use, which I couldn't do by myself. Plus, the units will be mated again at some of the LALS meets in the future.
Matt Mason
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

No Matt,
I am not trying to imply that they were hidden or anything like that. I am saying that NOW (in the future) they wont be for sure. I am saying that it is nice to get new locomotives out into the open for all to appreciate, AND glad that these engines won't end up like some where they just "disappear" forever... or until they pop up on EBay 20 years later with the descriptions of "hardly every run" and "super-detailed and in good condition for its age" and "I don't know anything about them, but it is worth $75k" etc.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

Benjamin Maggi wrote:... or until they pop up on EBay 20 years later with the descriptions of "hardly every run" and "super-detailed and in good condition for its age" and "I don't know anything about them, but it is worth $75k" etc.
Is that not the truth. Way too many engines go that way.
Matt Mason