Software for track plan?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Glenn Nicol

Software for track plan?

Post by Glenn Nicol »

Hi folks,

I am interested in finding a software program that will let me draw a track plan for a 7.5 gauge railroad on my land. I own 1.7 acres with a small house on it. I have drawn my dreams on some paper with .25 squares but I have a tremor in my hands and handling a pencil, T-square and triangles gets to be a chore. Working with the computer is a better way for me.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Glenn
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

I know this is designed for Electric trains
but you should be able to make it work,, and the price is right
http://www.atlasrr.com/righttrack.htm
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
makinsmoke

software for track plan

Post by makinsmoke »

Glenn,
The link below is for software for smaller (HO/O, etc) scale model railroads, but there is no reason they won't work for 1-1/2". The principles are the same. Just have to adjust for the scale.

I read that the Sandia stuff allows for grades, etc.

http://www.railsusa.com/links/Model_Rai ... more2.html

Brian
Glenn Nicol

Post by Glenn Nicol »

Thanks fellows for the links to layout builder software. I have downloaded a trial version of Any Rail and have tried it a little bit. Will have to keep at it but seems to work for what I want. It cost $59 I believe.

I just downloaded the Right Track users manual and the program. I have not had a chance to use it yet. I will try it out later tonight. It is freeware.

I will post back here on some of my thoughts on these programs after I use them for a while.

I was hoping someone had tried a program and could recommend one from first hand experience.

Thanks again.
pwcphoto

Post by pwcphoto »

Give XtrackCad a try. It is free, they have a good support group and it looks to be pretty powerful, especially at the price.

http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/HomePage

You can download it and play with it. It will work directly with 1.5" scale or larger if needed.

Phil
"I used to be a rocket scientist, now i am just a space cadet"

RMI 3.75" scale Prairie 2-6-2 under construction.
View Progress
http://www.southerncalifornialivesteamers.com/Forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=18&SID=336957b14adb9765a37dez9785dz6cz7&title=steam-locomotive-construction
Glenn Nicol

Post by Glenn Nicol »

Well I had a little time to spend on the two programs I downloaded. The first was Any Rail. This program was used to create the attached picture. It was easy to work with and had enough features that I could draw up what I wanted. I hope the picture shows up.

The second one I tried was Right Track. This program may be able to do a lot of things I was not interested in and I had a hard time working with it. There is a 126 page PDF help file that must have all one would need to know for the program, but I didn't take the time to go through the whole thing. I started to design the track I wanted and found out it was not designed to easily work with an area as big as I wanted. The program just had too many options and made it hard to learn. I wanted simple!

I have tried three times to add an attachment of a .jpg file and haven't had any success. It seem simple enough but doesn't work for me. What am I doing wrong. The photo 114KB 601 X 732 pixels.
Attachments
May be it will work now. This is what I hope to develop over a period of years.
May be it will work now. This is what I hope to develop over a period of years.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Glenn Nicol wrote:I have tried three times to add an attachment of a .jpg file and haven't had any success. It seem simple enough but doesn't work for me. What am I doing wrong. The photo 114KB 601 X 732 pixels.
It's too large. You are restricted to 800 x 600. Rotate the image 90° and reduce the 601 to 600, then it should post just fine. Put an "N" and an arrow at the appropriate place, so readers understand the orientation.

Harold
Glenn Nicol

Post by Glenn Nicol »

Thanks Harold.
I resized the picture before you posted the info I needed. That one little pixel was the problem. I just missed it I guess. Next time I will watch that closer.

Glenn