Building a 1" scale industrial switcher

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Steve Dispenza

Post by Steve Dispenza »

Here is the direct link to the 350w combo that I picked out. Im not ready to order it yet but when the time comes I'm gonna get that one.

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/24-v ... e-kit.html

Steve
Tommy Hudson

Post by Tommy Hudson »

Steve,

Yes on the 1" scale and 4.75 guage. I started a Pacific last year and am waiting on Russell to re-design his wheel patterns for casting. Meanwhile I bought the Atlantic from a fellow out west. It had not been run in about 5-6 years and I was concerned about the boiler but it pressure tests ok for now. It has piston valves and I need to re-work the rings, the end gaps are too wide and there is no wall tension either.

Tommy
Steve Dispenza

Post by Steve Dispenza »

Here is a picture of the progress on my little 1" scale electric. I'v got the frames shaped and cut to length, the journal boxes are started and I have the wheels. This is a fun project and I hope that I get it done in a month or so.

Steve
Attachments
DSC_4478 (Small).JPG
Steve Dispenza

Re: Building a 1" scale industrial switcher

Post by Steve Dispenza »

Here is a pic of my little electric at the Finger Lakes Live Steamers. Its almost done. I have all the components to finish it just need some time to work on it.
Attachments
DSC_4639 (Small).JPG
pohlmeyr

Post by pohlmeyr »

Hello,
Do you have an update on this build? I would like to build something similar and curious about some of your dimensions
Thanks
chooch

Re:

Post by chooch »

Steve,
I don`t know that much personally about motors/controllers like you mention as I usually buy the whole works from a supplier " ridetrains.net "or go by what others have built/use.
I have 3/4 locos using the same motors at 350 watts, various controllers, 4 and 8 wheel locos for 1-1/2 scale.
For Your combination Kit, the Price and, smaller scale as I see your planned locomotive I am sure you will have a good system
There is one 1-1/2 "Known" car, small loco builder I know that often uses the Motor and Throttle combo--not sure about the controller--and, his equipment does Run!!
Just a little info on what you are thinking of to purchase for your build.
chooch
Steve Dispenza wrote:Here is the direct link to the 350w combo that I picked out. Im not ready to order it yet but when the time comes I'm gonna get that one.

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/24-v ... e-kit.html

Steve
Steve Dispenza

Post by Steve Dispenza »

I finished my 1" electric in 2011 and its been running great ever since. I use 2 12 volt batteries from the Fisherprice powerwheels. They hold a charge for a whole weekend of running and the motor has plenty of power. It also will go as fast or slow as I want. The only issue I've encountered with the engine is the total weight on the wheels. With the powerful motor if your not careful the wheels will spin easily. I plan on adding some extra weight for better traction but as it is now it pulls me and a few cars all day around the Finger Lakes Live steamers 1" track which has quite a few grades.

The scooter speed controller works great and I used the twist style throttle handle used on the scooters. This is nice because it has a spring return so if you let go it acts as a dead man switch.

For the body I used 1/8" thick masonite. Its cheap and easy to work with. The headlight was machined out of a Harbor Freight LED flashlight. I turned the knurls off of the body and machined a little base for it to mount to the front of the engine. The dummy exhaust stack is the rest of the flashlight body. I wired it up to a switch in the back of the cab and is plenty bright for night running.

I still have some details to add to the body like some louvers and horns.
Attachments
electric_1.jpg
electric.jpg
pohlmeyr

Post by pohlmeyr »

Thanks for the update! Do you have any pictures of how you mounted you motor and which gear ratio you used? Also what we your overall dimensions and how did you mount the axles to the frames?
Thanks for any additional information
Steve Dispenza

Post by Steve Dispenza »

Here are some more pictures of the 1" electric.
Attachments
20140915_175608 (Small).jpg
20140915_175739 (Small).jpg
20140915_175841 (Small).jpg
20140915_175852 (Small).jpg
pohlmeyr

Post by pohlmeyr »

Thanks for the pictures