My intro and a question. Can anyone I/D this engine?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH

Old Bus

My intro and a question. Can anyone I/D this engine?

Post by Old Bus » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:14 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post so please be gentle with me. I just joined this hobby and plan on jumping in with both feet and one hand. (The other will be holding my beer over my head and out of the water!)

I hope I'm posting this in the right place but if not, please don't yell at me! I have a wife for that and believe me she's very good at it...daily.

I recently purchased a house in Ocean County, NJ on just shy of 4 acres. I plan on building a railroad all around the perimeter. A section of the track will be dual gage, a combination of 7-1/2ish and G-12. The 7-1/2 will be for fun, and the G-12 will be for the neighborhood kids (and their dads) to enjoy.

The railroad will have an operating Bascule bridge at the driveway crossing. I plan on using my 30+ years as a sheet metal mechanic and welder to layout and build my own engines, rolling stock, and the bridge(s) as I like. I have a close friend who owns all the molds for the G-12 wheels and trucks, and I have a small foundry so I'll be doing my own casting. I also have a machine shop-in-the-rough to machine everything. My friend, with the molds, has a working machine shop in his garage so that aspect is also set.

I like to make new friends, so feel free to contact me. I plan on being around a long time as this project isn't happening over night, obviously, and it can't happen without the help and knowledge from some of the guys in the posts I've been reading here.

Now the question part. Driving not too far from my house I came across a rather odd lawn ornimate. The body of the train looks like a factory type deal, and the drive looks to be chain driven. Being new to this, but lurking and researching I believe this is an odd and unusual piece. Can anyone give me any information on it? I have tried to catch the home owner, but he's never home when I am...or so it seems.

The passenger car looks scratch built, but that's to an untrained eye. I've studied several manufacturers and saw nothing anywhere like this combo.

They sit on a circle of track, and they look G-12ish, but I didn't want to just walk up to it and look without permission. I'm afraid of guns, but even more afraid of bullets!

I'll happily accept any help and information I can get on this from anyone here, either by PM or at my email PD4103@AOL.COM As a last resort I'll see if I can beat it out, er I mean, find out the information from the owner, when I finally catch up to him.

Thanks all,

Nick DeBenedetto
Manchester, NJ

Nick

Slowly sliding down the railroad slope.

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:52 pm

Hey, Nick.

Welcome to the forum.

So you'll know----it is not acceptable for readers on this site to flame others. Now you'll be able to assure your good wife that her job of yelling at you is secure, at least for the moment! :)

Sorry, I'm no help with your inquiry.

Harold

ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:45 am

I know Buddy L made some decent sized trains like that. I have only saw a couple in person and neither looked like that, but they might have made other styles.

tim