some more 3/4" F-unit progress

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

JBodenmann

Re: some more 3/4" F-unit progress

Post by JBodenmann »

Hi John
The F units are really the most to say the least! Can't wait to see them for myself.
Jack
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Here a couple of pics after picking up the shells from the automotive pinstriping guy... I'm very happy with the way they turned out, and of course there's still a lot of cosmetic work left to do, like the decals, horns, antennae, steps, etc...
There's also a shot of one of the shells sitting on the power chassis, the front apron is just sitting in place on a couple of parallels, just to see what it looks like...... Getting Close!
John
Attachments
Picture 012.jpg
Picture 015.jpg
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

WOW!

They look great, John!

Andy
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
joerom

Post by joerom »

Hi John,
I bet you are really happy to be at this stage.Great looking machines.How long before the first official run.
Joe
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

joerom wrote:Hi John,
I bet you are really happy to be at this stage.Great looking machines.How long before the first official run.
Joe
Hi Joe, We actually ran them for the first time about three weeks ago without the shells on... Just the chassis' They ran great with no problems..
John
joerom

Post by joerom »

Hi John,
Yes,I meant with the bodies on and everything finished.
Joe
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

joerom wrote:Hi John,
Yes,I meant with the bodies on and everything finished.
Joe
I'll probably get a run in at NEOLS next weekend with the shells on, but they won't be finished.. There's still a lot of work to do, like getting the front aprons painted in Tuscan red, as well as painting the trucks and fuel tanks black.. Also, coulpers, horns, brake cylinders, steps, ladders, antennae, cut levers, handrails, holy cow what else!.. Oh yeah the big one.... Cutting holes in the sides of the shells for the screens.... I'll take them to the Washakum meet with whatevers done at that time.. Tons of work left, but I love every minute of it... :)
Hopefully everything will be done by Cabin Fever next year....
John