some more 3/4" F-unit progress

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

WJH

Re: some more 3/4" F-unit progress

Post by WJH »

John, perhaps this is out of line asking, but I was wondering if you had drawings of the nose section of an F unit? The proportions and curves are what makes an F unit look good, or like crap. You nailed the dimensions and proportions on your F units.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

RB, The drawings for the F were done in solidworks.... We started with a 2 dimension print from Model Railroader magazine, scanned it and basically "traced" around it with solidworks... Making it a 3D program from a 2D one.. My friend Andy did all the CAD work for me, as I have no idea how to use SW...
Here's a photo of the F print from MR...
John
Attachments
print.jpg
WJH

Post by WJH »

Thanks John. I know how to use solid works, so this will help nicely.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Here's a new pic of one pair of trucks with the brake gear installed.. I still need to make the brake cylinders, and their corresponding levers, etc... I think I have everything I need now to finish these F's, except the time... I'm hoping to make a test of the running gear within a week or two, then finish up the detail parts... The shells are back at the painters, to re-shoot some areas where there were some pin-holes, then off to get the Pennsy stripe and lettering applied....
John
Attachments
Picture 004.jpg
joerom

Post by joerom »

Hi John,
That is a first class looking set of trucks.Great work as usual.
Joe
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Great work John! Do you need any more wheels?

Andy
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Andypullen wrote:Great work John! Do you need any more wheels?

Andy

Thanks Andy, I don't need any at the moment, but if I do I'll know just where to come :wink:
John
WJH

Post by WJH »

Will there be plans of selling castings for these F units? Growing up in Danbury CT, I got to see the last of the F units in action in actual service. I miss those FL9's and rebuilt F3's.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

RB211 wrote:Will there be plans of selling castings for these F units? Growing up in Danbury CT, I got to see the last of the F units in action in actual service. I miss those FL9's and rebuilt F3's.
RB, look here... http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 30&t=84462
John
WJH

Post by WJH »

Needless to say, I already know what paint scheme I would use. I took this picture before I left CT for Florida. Took the photo in 2006.
click here
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Here's a pic of the batteries and their mounts.... Don't worry, it looks like the aluminum frame comes close to touching the terminals, but it doesn't..... (can't)
I'm hurrying now, as there is a meet this weekend at my club, and I hope to take these F's there to test-run...
John
Attachments
Picture 014.jpg
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Well today was the first time we tested the diesels under power.... And power it has! They took off for the first time with me on the riding car spinning the drive wheels! It took a lap to get used to the throttle, but after the first time around the track at NEOLS, I got the hang of it! I did about 6 or 7 laps, and then handed the controller to the wife, then some friends.. They all said "wow" when it just took off without even working hard! I took some videos, but for some reason my computer isn't recognizing my camcorder... But here's a couple of pics..
John
Attachments
Picture 018.jpg
Picture 019.jpg