Deep Cycle Battery Question

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Dan_M

Re: Deep Cycle Battery Question

Post by Dan_M »

I use an Optima yellow top for lights and the air compressor (for the brakes) for my engine/train. No problem whatsoever. I do suggest you get a "Battery Tender" and use it between charges and when in storage. They cost about $50. I have used them on my motorcycle, tractor and on my train and have maintained batteries for over 5 years. Before then, they only lasted about 3-4 years. I actually installed one permanently in my tender to make it that much more easier to use.

Dan
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

Reguarding the garden tractor batery. Many years back I went into KMart in the spring for one and all they had left on the shelf was motorcycle ones, it was like $10 more, but had the right post cofig, the grass was growing out control so I went ahead and paid the extra.

Well the tractor ones usually lasted 3 years for me, that one lasted 12, I don't know why other than the fact it had 2 or 3 time the cranking capacity, so it did not go through as sever charging/discharging as a less rated one and when it was degraded with age, it still had enough charge capacity to kick the tractor over. So that tells me the lawn mower & batery manufactures are not specing the right size bateries, and/or decent charging componets. Most car bateries last 6 to 8 years for me, so why shouldn't the tractor ones?

Reguarding deep cycle bateries in series, I would charge each one separately with a automatic cut off deep cycle charger.

Rob
Dan_M

Post by Dan_M »

Here's a great link about charging series and parallel batteries.

http://batterytender.com/resources/conn ... argers.htm
johnder

Post by johnder »

I charge my batteries in the same fashion....one at a time. I purchised a charger from Sears that does 12v deep cycle.
John DeRosa
LALS
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Uh, it should be noted, that parallel batteries will ALWAYS charge their individiual cells, according to their capacity, when charge voltage is applied. It is when they are in stable and resting condition, that trickle equalization occurs. Series is another story, as long as charge curent and voltage are available, the batteries charge, according to each cells ability.

A good charge voltage is 13.5 to 14.5 volts. Amps will vary according to the dynamics of the batteries. Most simple batts need to be watered with distilled water before charge. Gell Cell and other battery designs are 'sealed' and require no water. But understand, water is essential to the batts that require it, and voltage is essential to charge, to drive the amps for the batts to soak up energy. Low or high volts, will not help the condition, and actually lesson its recovery.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Krank Turner

Post by Krank Turner »

Hi 'Yall;

I have been using 4 large "Battery Warehouse" #27s in the tender of my 2-1/2" scale skinny gauge 2-8-0 and now on my third season. They have performed flawlessly, unfortunatly I let them get a bit low on water and I am now waiting for the next "run day" to run with a with a full train to see if I have inflicted any damage to the battery pack. I had it on the track running "light" and all seems well, but a full train will tell the tale.

It was my bad, and if I get unfavorable results I will use the same batteries in the new pack. I will replace the entire pack. I'm running 24 volts so I have a series paralell hook up. The pack runs two full days on a charge, I charge the whole pack with a 24V smart charger I also have two smaller batteries 12v in paralell (also deep cycle) in the boiler for lights and sound. I am religiously developing a habit to check them all frequently for water level now. I don't know how I could have been so unattentive, honestly I know better then that!
Always stopping my train in a safe manner with good 'ol reliable NIKE brake shoes... size 12 basic black.

Krank Turner
pwcphoto

Post by pwcphoto »

You folks that use electric powered equipment should look at this stuff. I use it on my electric forklift and it is great. Much better than paying $6000 for a replacement battery.

http://www.batteryforlife.com/

The pulsers keep the battery alive and sulfate free. The juice gives several years of extended life to the battery. If you are going to pay the big bucks for a deep cycle battery, then it pays to take care of it.

Phil
"I used to be a rocket scientist, now i am just a space cadet"

RMI 3.75" scale Prairie 2-6-2 under construction.
View Progress
http://www.southerncalifornialivesteamers.com/Forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=18&SID=336957b14adb9765a37dez9785dz6cz7&title=steam-locomotive-construction
Krank Turner

Post by Krank Turner »

Hi All;

I ran a load test on my batteries after letting the water level get low exposing 1/2" to 5/8" of the plates. Capillary action was keeping them moist, I supposed that's what saved my bacon. The load test went very well, they read very close to what they did when new. I will be very more dillegent from here on. I got lucky....

So Take it from me, lest you may forget watch your water! Like any aligator worth it's salt, it will reach up and bite you in the butt as soon as you lose sight of it.
Always stopping my train in a safe manner with good 'ol reliable NIKE brake shoes... size 12 basic black.

Krank Turner
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Krank Turner wrote:Hi All;

I ran a load test on my batteries after letting the water level get low exposing 1/2" to 5/8" of the plates. Capillary action was keeping them moist, I supposed that's what saved my bacon. The load test went very well, they read very close to what they did when new. I will be very more dillegent from here on. I got lucky....

So Take it from me, lest you may forget watch your water!
So it's not just on a steam locomotive that you need to watch your water!