Squirrels and aluminum rail

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveR

Squirrels and aluminum rail

Post by SteveR »

At LALS, our 1" and 3/4" trains run on aluminum rail and there are still a couple of places where we have aluminum rail on wood ties for the 1-1/2". In the last few years, some of the local squirrel population has taken to shapening their teeth on the tracks, making the ride a bit more bumpy than we would like.

I know there are a number of tracks that run aluminum rail - I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and what did you do to solve it. I've tried mixing cayenne pepper with aluminum paint and painting the tops of the rail in a few places, but no luck. Still on the list of things to try include squirrel repellent (contains dried blood, garlic and rotten eggs), poison bait stations (not sure if this is politically correct) and putting sections of aluminum track in the trees as sacrificial offerings. Other ideas?

Thanks!
Steve
12x36 Enco Lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, SMAW, O/A, Miller MIG w/gas, plasma
Not enough measuring tools...
1.5" Allen Models Consolidation on air.
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
I'm thankful that metal is recyclable....
CB&Q

Chewing Varmints!

Post by CB&Q »

Well, in Arizona, one had to use 1-inch or larger PVC pipe for buried water lines, meter to house, to prevent the pocket gophers from chewing through it. But, our first 'phone line, installed by the local phone co., lasted only a few months, at which time the copper-wrap around it was severed. The fix was stainless steel-wrapped line, which the guy claimed they had never seen chewed through; it did last until we sold and cleared out- 10 years.

Here in MO we got armadillos digging up everything from above ground, moles underground, and BIG groundhogs chewing up the gardens! But my 1500 feet of aluminum rail (1-inch height) has remained unmolested by everything living for 3 or 4 years now, save for the local scrounge who wants to know if I want him to tear it out, so he can sell it for scrap! Fortunately, an unwritten hill-billy code forbids ripping off a neighbor, so it seems safe enough when we head off to Laughlin to partake of their now-free room offers!

CB&Q

One can derive far more personal pleasure and reward from observing Mother Nature's living things instead of Humanity's Madness.....
tsph6500

Re: Squirrels and aluminum rail

Post by tsph6500 »

SteveR wrote:Other ideas?
1) Stop using peanut butter to grease your flanges? :wink:

2) if that doesn't work I can think of 110 other methods... :shock:

One of my two grandfathers in the hobby ran an electrified third rail on his elevated tracks. He had a B&S 5HP turning a generator in the garage. I was just a kid and don't know the voltage but I also don't recall a lot of tree rats either... :!:
Attachments
Lil' Jimmy (me) running 'Juicy Anna' the Boxcab built in 1927 by A.W. Leggett.
Lil' Jimmy (me) running 'Juicy Anna' the Boxcab built in 1927 by A.W. Leggett.
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman
slsf1060

Post by slsf1060 »

I wouldn't put up sacrificial rail, the squirrels would just get more accustomed to knawing on aluminum.

Is the area protected enough from the general public that you could put a low voltage "electric fence" box on it while members aren't there?

Darren
Darren McNeely

and the sons of Pullman Porters, and the sons of engineers,
ride their father's magic carpets made of steel.

www.swlsonline.org
WJH

Post by WJH »

Shotgun
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

A shotgun ruins the ties and bends the rails beyond hope. :twisted:
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Rex

Post by Rex »

Lay a strip of aluminum screen wire alongside the rail where this is happening.
Clip 12V battery leads to the rail and to the screen.
Hope they don't start chewing the batter leads ;)

A friend once used a variation of this to stop a cat peeing on his chrome wheels.
Only it was 110V :shock:
Problem solved within one hour.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Electric P-nuts?
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Rex

Post by Rex »

Wail of the Banshee
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Thanks for the nice pictures.

Allergic to peanuts, so we can remove that as a factor either way.

Many people suggest electrification, but since the track is on the ground, no one has been able to explain how we keep the current from going to earth. Since this is in a large area, a cage would be too large to manage. The idea of electrifying surrounding areas or sections might have possibilities.

What about those ultrasonic rodent repellers? Maybe 3 or 4 of those in selected areas? Any experiences?

And once the track is chewed up, I've tried metal filled epoxy to repair the divot with mixed success. Any other ideas (that have worked!).

If all else fails, can we coat new aluminum rail (with for example TiN) to make it harder to chew on?

thanks,
steve
12x36 Enco Lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, SMAW, O/A, Miller MIG w/gas, plasma
Not enough measuring tools...
1.5" Allen Models Consolidation on air.
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
I'm thankful that metal is recyclable....
Rex

Post by Rex »

SteveR wrote: Many people suggest electrification, but since the track is on the ground, no one has been able to explain how we keep the current from going to earth.
I don't see a problem here. With a low voltage DC source (12V battery) to the rail, and the other pole to the screen, with an insulator backing if you must, loss to ground should be negligible. Include a solar battery charge to offset that, if required. But I bet it won't be needed.
tom d

Post by tom d »

hay Steve try looking at a ultrasonic or electromagnetic pest repeller.Amazon has them cheep and buyers say they work on rats,squirrels,and cats.you have out lets right near there on the steaming bays maybe just make a rain cover over the top. I'm going to try one of the units at my house.As a side note it mite dive some of the LALSM members nuts and Keep them away from that part of the layout,sorry just couldn't let that one slide by with out saying something, fomer LALSM GS tom d