Squirrels and aluminum rail

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

10 Wheeler Rob

Re: Squirrels and aluminum rail

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

Sounds like an apication for good old JB Weld epoxy filler.

So you got some envirnmentals using vetitable oil or peanut oil or what for stem oil. Seems like good old steam oil mixed with some coal ashes would not taste good to the squirels, or have they banned coal out there also?

Rob
Bruce_Mowbray

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

Just file or sand with a belt sander along the rail. I once rode on a track that was run over by a landscaper's mower. OUCH. The guy just beltsanded most of the marks out and you couldn't tell it ever happened.
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works
slsf1060

Post by slsf1060 »

Have you tried using a handheld bar code scanner on the rail? Maybe the local rodent population is trying to tell you something? :lol:
jw_clarke54

Post by jw_clarke54 »

dont know about squirrels but if cat jumps up on computer one more time well see about voltage jump!! old sucker. If you do want to fry your wildlife then I hope that there are no electronics on the given site?? ay least dissconnect them before getting a fried snack.if you are into that. hear it taste preatty good.! could you also spread some repellant, what the hell do squirrels not like to eat??? well good luck let us know.someone else might need this info JWC TX
johnder

Post by johnder »

Hello everyone, thanks for the ideas. The light sanding might help in some spots, but like Steve said there are a couple of places that are pretty deep. I'm hesitant to use some sort of bait since we have a couple of club cats, which don't care about squirrels only rats and mice and the occasional skunk. After this weekends meet I will try to sand a few places and see what happens.
John DeRosa
LALS
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ya,Ok. Careful with the rat poison around cats. Cats eat slow and staggering mice and could easily take a drunken squirrel, to the effect that they become poisoned by the animal they ate. I have seen one farm wipe out the whole Pride of barn cats in a single month that way.

Welding is not a good idea, in that 6061 aluminum that the rail is, is not only alloy but treated to t-6 hardness. Welding will locally wipe out that hardness.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

Thanks for the ideas. I was there on Sunday, and the conclusion is the bait the squirrels and replace the rail. Period. The club has a lot of used rail, so welding, filing, and sanding is not the option. We have tried cayanne pepper also with no results. I personnaly derailed very well on the inner loop due to all of the cuts in the track.

If it was up to me, a day with the pellet rifle would cure the problem....
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

OK, I just got ask the big question! Just what is bing put on the track? Are any of members using some form of vegitable oils (like cannola oil used that often used as green machining oil) insted of steam oil which the squirls might like the tates of? Also is the use of coal getting restrctive to the point where there not much coal ash getting left behand as well?

Rob
WJH

Post by WJH »

You know, guns are tools, and this is a perfect application for their use.
FredR

Post by FredR »

I don't know if it works or not, but I have seen a product out there that is *suppose* to get rid of squirrels. I think it probably has something like red pepper in it as well. Dn't know, but you might see. I have 2 ultrasonic pest control devices that doesn't do squat on mice and rats. I would be willing to give them to you if you want them.

Fred
wbarbe

Post by wbarbe »

John and Chris,
I just ordered some pepper spray concentrate to use on my avocado tree to keep the squirrels from eating the avocado's. I will bring some to the track when I get it if you want to try it out.
Bill
FredR

Post by FredR »

Let us know if it works if you would Bill.
Thanks
Fred
wbarbe wrote:John and Chris,
I just ordered some pepper spray concentrate to use on my avocado tree to keep the squirrels from eating the avocado's. I will bring some to the track when I get it if you want to try it out.
Bill