Electric Motors

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

ScaleModeler1974

Re: Electric Motors

Post by ScaleModeler1974 »

steamin10 wrote:Scale74 & Ken: I have seen this configuration many times to run electrics with paired deep cycle batteries. The design is very successfull , and the 4-q controller is bulletproof in its range. It handles the starting surges well that normally kill some other controllers. The Motors are happy with the 24 volts, they are actually seeing about 16-18 volts on the controller. The only way to hurt the motors is to load them heavy with a big train, and run the batts low. When the current gets up, heating occurs and must be watched. A simple ammeter will teach you how it likes to run, and is a good bet on the controls.

Very similar to my direction of design here. I am going to assemble a ten ton box motor with one battery and one motor fromm one of those store cart "rascals".

When you say put a "Heavy Load" on it are you talking about a train behind it or my 250# sack of crap ( me ) sitting on top of it? :lol: :roll:
ScaleModeler1974

Well I ran with 24 volts to two of the motors.......the only two I had at the time .......and man does it FLY :mrgreen:

I had a friend take a ride on it and he said " This #*&@^$% moves! "

However I did notice the motors did get a little warm......nearly burnt my fingers.

I think with the other two motors on the crate motor they may run a little cooler.
ScaleModeler1974

Here is an update that I should have posted back in October of 2010.

I got the other truck fixed and I have all 4 motors wired for 24V input.........still runs fast but without the heating of the motors that I was experiencing with just the two motors powering the "Crate Motor".