Bobber Caboose

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Rwilliams

Re: Bobber Caboose

Post by Rwilliams »

Jack,

Sure was nice to see the caboose in person last weekend. I have ordered goodies to get my caboose going in the right direction based on your answers. Meanwhile I have done some more research on interior details. Seems there was a caboose service card behind glass with a three sided metal holder much like the cab card of a locomotive. I am working on just what information was included. It may be big enough to scale down and still be seen on the wall of the caboose. I will let you know just what it looks like when I get a peek at one.

The night photos are just what is needed to show off those wonderful light fixtures. Is there any way you could put a light yellow coating on the LED bulb to give a more golden effect of an oil lamp?

Nothing wrong with a caboose on the dining table. Might be a new way to start a wight loss program.

Robert
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hi Robert
Insane minds think alike. I have been looking for something to tint the bulbs in the lamps yellow. They make a sort of stained glass stain that is available at Micheals craft stores. I agree with you that a yellow tint on the lamps would improve the appearance. I enjoyed having you, and all my other guests over for a visit during the rain out at Bittercreek. Nothing better than a house full of friends.
Jack
Kevin_S

Post by Kevin_S »

Jack, thanks for invinting us over, it was a pleasure to see your shop! As for a a yellow glow for and LED, just get a yellow LED. I have three sitting in my headlight on my American.
-Kevin S.
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

Jack, The invite and visit to your home and shop made the weekend worth while alone imho. Seeing the caboose and all your other projects in person was just awesome. As others have said thank you very much for the opportunity to visit and hang out in one of the colest places I have yet to visit since getting into the hobby.

Jason
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you very much for the wonderful complements. I can assure you that the pleasure was all mine having a house full of good friends to point and talk with.
Too much fun!
Jack
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Jack, I would recommend 1/4 tint yellow theatrical gel, I can mail you a square in an envelope if you'd like to try it, or drop it off when you're in the Canyon.

You could either gel the chimney (slip a tube of it inside) or try to attach a smaller piece around the bulb somehow.

It's the same stuff I used to warm up the key light for the photo of the Heisler at TM in front of their scale logging building.

The visit was great, there's some pictures from Jack's place at the end of the BCWRR president's day meet gallery on my website at http://www.mikemassee.com/gallery/v/liv ... sday-2011/ starting on page 11.

I enjoyed talking about scale photoreal photography and my friend John from New Zealand really enjoyed the visit.

--Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
FredR

Post by FredR »

I didn't put it together until now...... It would be scary as all get out if we had a person with Jack's building skills and Mike's photographic talents combined...... We would never be able to tell if it was real or scale ! :lol:
Harlock wrote:Jack, I would recommend 1/4 tint yellow theatrical gel, I can mail you a square in an envelope if you'd like to try it, or drop it off when you're in the Canyon.

You could either gel the chimney (slip a tube of it inside) or try to attach a smaller piece around the bulb somehow.

It's the same stuff I used to warm up the key light for the photo of the Heisler at TM in front of their scale logging building.

The visit was great, there's some pictures from Jack's place at the end of the BCWRR president's day meet gallery on my website at http://www.mikemassee.com/gallery/v/liv ... sday-2011/ starting on page 11.

--Mike
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

FredR wrote:I didn't put it together until now...... It would be scary as all get out if we had a person with Jack's building skills and Mike's photographic talents combined...... We would never be able to tell if it was real or scale ! :lol:
Jack did a pretty amazing job with his 'tales of an engine wiper' photo series published in a few magazines including NG and Shortline Gazette. There was nothing in there I could have done better. But we did trade ideas about a series that has more of an atmospheric Jack Delano look - http://www.shorpy.com/node/136

;)

-M
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

Jack, the companies which make the theatrical gels also make a liquid that can be painted on glass. It comes in various colors and you use as thick a layer, or layers, as you need to get the degree of saturation you want. It's been YEARS since I used it but I'm pretty sure it's still out there.

Jerry
www.chaski.com
tomc

Post by tomc »

I read on the DCC forums that Tamika orange paint (not sure of spelling) is great to change a light bulb to warm yellow. Can find that at most hobby shops.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Goose

Post by Goose »

Hello Tom,

that's Tamyia (the plastic kit manufacturer), who has the colors. And you have to look for their range of translucent paints.
Laurie McLean from Australia just had switched from Hon3 to On3 and is busy working on models with action and lights.
He uses the translucent paints to paint the Caboose Marker Lamps and light them with a SMD LED.
BTW, the orange translucent color has the order-number X-26.

And regarding Jack, I had a chance during my 2009 trip to the westcoast to be carried in his Model T to his house and was shown all the models, I've seen here on the web and others in his living room. It was a wonderful afternoon, and reading how excited the gang is, which had last weekend the same chance, I can feel with them and still remember this afternoon.

Jack, also I don't write really much, I appreciate all your postings and pictures and enjoy your wonderful models.
Greetings from Germany
Hubert The Goose
http://www.7-plus-ngm.org/pcr
http://www.7-plus-ngm.org
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thanks for all the fine tips concerning the tinting of the lamps. I will have a look for the products you suggested.
Jack