C-30 wood caboose

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Rwilliams

Re: C-30 wood caboose

Post by Rwilliams »

With many of the major interior detail elements already completed, it was time to begin working on the smaller elements which I had no drawings for. The wall rack was used to keep order by giving a place to store important documents such as the large size timetables used years ago. I studied old photos and estimated the dimensions based on known dimensions in the photos. Making most of the mistakes on paper in the sketch book saved much time when the wall rack began to take shape in wood. By working with some of my scraps, most of the parts were quickly produced and using spacers, the parts went together easily. Here we see the wall rack staged on the conductor desk while the mouse has another encounter with the cat.
Attachments
Wall rack on desk.jpg
VO4454

Post by VO4454 »

Robert ,The rack looks nice. I would guess that timetables were not the only kind of literature they held. I like the cat and mouse. I think a working scale mouse trap might be in order though.

Vic
For Duty and Humanity
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

VO4454 wrote:Robert ,The rack looks nice. I would guess that timetables were not the only kind of literature they held. I like the cat and mouse. I think a working scale mouse trap might be in order though.

Vic
Vic, I think you are correct about needing a mouse trap. That mouse has been around for quite a while, even to the point of gnawing a hole through some of Robert's fine woodwork. It is obvious the cat is either shirking his duties or is an incompetent mouser.

Donald
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

...Tom and Jerry at it once again...no doubt. A couple of details you don't normally see in our models. Although I remember seeing a caboose with fine interior details...and even included a mouse dropping in the "turlet" (as Archie bunker would say). Nice touch...but I thought that was going a bit far. In particular since older receptacles used to dump right on the track.

There's no doubt in my mind Robert...you're having way too much fun! Keep up the great work. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

The rodent problem in the caboose is never ending as the breeding capabilities of the mice are beyond the hunting capabilities of just one caboose cat. I may have to employ another cat to keep up with the situation.

Adding the mouse and cat act to the caboose has been very popular with most everyone that has seen the model or the photos. Many have requested more cat/mouse situations be presented.

With hot summer weather soon upon the crew, a paper cup dispenser was needed to keep the crew members happy. Just having a drink water tank was not sufficient, they wanted paper cups so a dispenser was made and installed. Disposing of the used paper cups will require a proper waste receptacle in the near future.

This is a scaled down version of the standard SP cup dispenser found in cabooses for many years. The same dispenser was also found in the cabs of the diesels at the other end of the train. I found an original on eBay and purchased it to get the correct dimensions. Then gave it to a friend for the restoration of his full size SP caboose.
Attachments
Paper cup dispenser installed.jpg
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

After dealing with the crush of making Christmas gifts, the luxury of some quality shop time was used to upgrade the sides of the Pullman style seating. I built the original smooth seat sides according to the Jackman prints. More recently, I have decided that the as built to the plans appearance would not go well with the future details that are scheduled to happen in the next few months. A study of the original SP prints showed the horizontal trim board along with the vertical siding.

After sanding away the green paint, the wood parts were custom fitted and attached using a straight edge to insure dimensions. My only regret is not adding this bit of detail long ago when it was so much more easy to reach.

The grooves in the cupola floor are another addition which caused much challenge. They should have been cut in before the floor board was attached to the cupola framing.
Attachments
Seat upgrade showing before starting with smooth sides..jpg
Seat upgrade after the green paint application.jpg
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Another interior detail long completed but not posted is the scaled down retainer valve document. At the time of the document, there were several types of retainer valves in common use as the air brake systems were always in a constant state of improvements. The document was meant to keep the crews informed as to how the different valves worked.

One old timer reported that he only saw the document posted in about 4 cabooses during his entire railroad career. This gives thought that they were also posted in the yard office and crew duty rooms as well. The original document was in such bad condition that it was easier to just save the retainer valve drawings portion of the document and clean them up in Photoshop. The hand drawn letter font was used to generate all new appearing hand drawn lettering using the original cleaned up valve drawings. The new drawing was then adjusted and printed out in three different sizes with the one that fit the frame the best being the one that was selected for display. A several month project that certainly kicks up the interior of the caboose.

If all goes well, a Hotbox Coolant document will soon be the next challenge to frame and place on the wall above the conductor desk.
Attachments
Retainer valve frame with document in place 001.jpg
Retainer valve document on caboose wall.jpg
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Another addition was the installation of a bleed rod on the side of the caboose opposite the tool box. Having included the bleed rod with the tool box, the other side also needed one to look prototypical. Some aluminum sheet and angle stock was TIG welded together and a brass rod was bent to make up the missing detail. Combined with the brake valve casting and the air reservoir casting, the bottom of the caboose on the side opposite the tool box now has substance.
Attachments
Bleed rod on opposite side from tool box.jpg
SP&S700

Post by SP&S700 »

Robert

Very Nice indeed as always. The details and with humor too. Very fine job.

Clint
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Robert:

I happened to look back to your photo of the original retainer valve document and noted that it is stained. Yours is not. You need to get with the program here. Perhaps some weak coffee poured down the wall would do the trick.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

Greg_Lewis wrote:Robert:

I happened to look back to your photo of the original retainer valve document and noted that it is stained. Yours is not. You need to get with the program here. Perhaps some weak coffee poured down the wall would do the trick.
Greg, I think you just broke Robert's heart!

Donald
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

I have to give Donald credit for this addition to the coal box details. He recently went on a day long research mission to look at a C-30 caboose on display. I had visited the same museum a few years earlier and the coal box door was not there, so I just left a gaping black hole in the top of my coal box and moved on with other details. His photos showed a nice lid since a recent restoration of the caboose and I was inspired to construct a lid for the coal box.

A proper handle and some caboose green paint will soon follow to bring the top of the coal box up to the new standards.
Attachments
Caboose coal box lid 002.jpg