Engine House Photos

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH

JBodenmann

Engine House Photos

Post by JBodenmann » Fri May 20, 2011 1:11 am

Hello My Friends
Here are some photos of the caboose taken in the engine house. My friend Lynne helped me dust off and repair the engine house model for the last couple days. The roof assemblies had been disassembled a few years ago and only the trusses were saved. The corrugated iron was simulated by using single sided cardboard and aluminum paint. First photo is a pile of trusses that have been laying around the back yard. Second photo, the trusses after a bit of cleaning and repair. The single sided cardboard has been partially applied. The new wood parts were stained with a mixture of mostly brown Rit dye with a bit of black added and some denatured alcohol and dish washing detergent. This was put in a length of rain gutter with the ends capped off and the parts were dipped in the dye.
Attachments
Trusses1-72.jpg
Trusses2-72.jpg
Last edited by JBodenmann on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JBodenmann

Re: Engine House Photos

Post by JBodenmann » Fri May 20, 2011 1:15 am

Here my lovely and talented assistant is cleaning the sub frame and then repairing some of the floor panels. You can see in these two photos just how big the engine house is. Fourteen feet long and five feet wide.
Attachments
Floor1-72.jpg
Floor2-72.jpg

JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann » Fri May 20, 2011 1:22 am

Here Lynne is cleaning the wall with the shop vac and a small brush. The wall was in the rafters of the shop for several years and had accumulated quite a load of dust and grime. It also had some damage as it had been used as a large shelf to store things on.
Attachments
Wall1-72.jpg

JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann » Fri May 20, 2011 1:28 am

Now here are some photos of the objective, a caboose in the engine house.
Attachments
InteriorSepia72.jpg
Caboose72.jpg

JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann » Fri May 20, 2011 1:32 am

Last one for now.
See you in the funny pages..
Jack
Attachments
Caboose&Tender Sepia72.jpg

sabin

Post by sabin » Fri May 20, 2011 8:08 am

WOW Jack, what a transformation from that pile of dusty stuff I saw in your shop the other day. I feel like I can walk right up to the caboose and climb aboard. Thanks again for the visit.
Jim

Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams » Fri May 20, 2011 6:43 pm

Jack,

Too much time has passed since the last engine house images were recorded. Always a pleasure to see what is happening in the engine house and what improvements have been made. These views showing the shop floor before the walls are erected really give some understanding as to the massive size of the facility. Looking forward to the storyline that will go with the photos.

Will you be at LALS next weekend?

Robert

JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann » Sat May 21, 2011 9:19 am

Hello My Friends
Thanks for the compliments. Hi Robert, yes I will be attending the Spring Meet at LALS. Going down early Friday morning and coming home Sunday. Looking forward to some quality pointing and talking. I will be taking George's caboose to the meet so he can pick it up. Also some caboose stoves and brake valves and such for sale. See you there.
Jack

JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann » Mon May 23, 2011 10:14 am

Hello My Friends
Here are a few more. The first is a color shot of the caboose. Most color views just don't work. I don't know of it's because we don't expect photos of that era to be in color or what. The engine house wasn't really designed for color photography but some photos work, this one does some what, I think because of the muted lighting. I really like the sepia tone photos, I will get some more carefully posed photos this week. Hope to see many of you at the LALS spring meet.
Jack
Attachments
Color-71.jpg

mjahn

Post by mjahn » Mon May 23, 2011 9:59 pm

Jack,

Beautiful photos! And its great to get a behind the scenes look at the engine house... but what happened to your website?

Mattaniah Jahn
Mattaniah Jahn

Matt Corps. Railsystems,
operating on the Manatee Central RR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62441046@N06/sets/

Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis » Mon May 23, 2011 11:22 pm

JBodenmann wrote:Hello My Friends
Most color views just don't work. I don't know of it's because we don't expect photos of that era to be in color or what. The engine house wasn't really designed for color photography but some photos work, this one does some what, I think because of the muted lighting. I really like the sepia tone photos, I will get some more carefully posed photos this week. Hope to see many of you at the LALS spring meet.
Jack

Part of it is that the lenses and film of that era, even when color was used, were different from today's tools, digital notwithstanding. There were color processes in the early 1900s and before but they were cumbersome and rarely used. It is unlikely that much color photography, if any, of commercial subjects would have been done before about 1938 when Kodachrome was made in commercial sheet film sizes. Lenses of the early 20th century were not well color corrected, and the simple explanation is that this results in a slight loss of sharpness. Also, much commercial photography prior to the 1960s was done on orthochromatic black and white film. This film is not sensitive to red, which means the grey scale in the final print is slightly different from an image made on panchromatic film. You can simulate ortho effects in Photoshop and there are several ways to do this. A search engine will point you to various options. Some Photoshop experts do not use the simple mode change menu to create a black and white from color, but use more controllable methods. Same with sepia. IMHO, the standard Photoshop sepia filter doesn't seem to be the right color.

If I was trying to replicate an era effect, I'd reduce both the contrast and sharpness, and create a b&w rendition with reduced reds in order to simulate ortho film. Then I'd create a slight sepia manually, not with the sepia filter.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 30 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.

makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke » Tue May 24, 2011 7:59 am

Black and white - the glass plate exposures were so sharp and detailed even today they can be enlarged some huge number to bring out details that one would never see in regular film exposures.

Jack Delano made quite a few color photos/slides in the 40's.

While digging through the Internet looking for more of his work I ran across this website:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/20 ... 1943/2363/

Brian