Fabricated Cylinders

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Kimball McGinley

Re: Fabricated Cylinders

Post by Kimball McGinley »

Dura Bar is really good stuff; it is made specifically for machining. When I was an engineer for an amateur telescope company they used it to make small weights used to balance a scope depending on different attachments like focusers and cameras, etc. They had to machine a keyhole slot in the bar and it machined very easily.

I also seem to recall one set of fabricated cylinders that had O-ring recesses between the valve and cylinder blocks; once bolted together, the Viton O-rings would last forever.

I also wonder if one of the modern Rapid prototype/ metal sintering companies could make the parts? They might need a piston liner and a valve wear plate...
ironhorseriley

Post by ironhorseriley »

On the DLS for sale page, a narrow gauge Porter project has been listed for sale.

http://www.discoverlivesteam.com/discov ... /index.htm

I looks like the Valve chest has been fabricated out of steel square tubing??
Jim, Former railroader, fascinated by wood working & “all things engineered”.
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

There is a 4-4-0 with slide valves that I've see a few times that has cylinders made from hydraulic bottle jack bodies which were turned horizontal and had the valve seats welded to the tops. LOL. :mrgreen: If it works.......

Ken-
ironhorseriley

Post by ironhorseriley »

I wonder how the cylinder ends were fabricated and attached..surly threaded like a pipe fitting would not be acceptable?
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

ironhorseriley wrote:I wonder how the cylinder ends were fabricated and attached..surly threaded like a pipe fitting would not be acceptable?
If the wall thickness will allow, the ends would probably be attached exactly like any other locomotive cylinder. A bolt circle with studs or screws. Why would you think "pipe fitting" to close a cylinder end?

David
ironhorseriley

Post by ironhorseriley »

It has been a while since I have seen a bottle jack disassembled, I did not know how thick the walls were. I was not sure if there was thickness to allow for studs. Many years ago, my grandfather repaired them as a retirement job.