Fabricated Cylinders

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

powderhorn01

Re: Fabricated Cylinders

Post by powderhorn01 »

Have you checked out the book on building the Pennsy A-3 by Kozo Hiraoka. He has plans for constructing cylinders for both 3/4 and 1-1/2.
E. Bartlett HTC(SW) USN Ret.
Member Firearms Engravers Guild of America (FEGA)
Nevada Southern Railway (Nevada State Railroad Museum)
Bridgeport Round Ram Mill
11" South Bend/10" Champion Blower & Forge Lathe (Franken Lathe)
12" Sebastian Lathe
everett.bartlett@yahoo.com
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Fabrication or just hogging out of solid stock is reasonably common - and much easier than making piston cylinder sets (which I have done also)

I have a couple of folks building Tom Thumb locos, with all fabricated engine parts.

If you would like some design drawings showing how it is done, e-mail me separate and I can send some back to you

bshields at mehrs dot com
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
ironhorseriley

Post by ironhorseriley »

Is there a reason heavy walled steel pipe and steel plate could not be used to fabricate slide valve cylinders and then assemble and machine accordingly?

Thanks all,

Jim
Jim, Former railroader, fascinated by wood working & “all things engineered”.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Jim,

How did you make the cylinders for your "Sweet Pea"? Castings, or, from solid?

David
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ironhorseriley wrote:Is there a reason heavy walled steel pipe and steel plate could not be used to fabricate slide valve cylinders and then assemble and machine accordingly?
If memory serves, such construction isn't all that unusual.
There's more than one good benefit from using gray iron castings, though. They don't rust away the same way steel does, and gray iron (or ductile iron) is a much better bearing surface due to the free graphite in the material. There's likely other benefits, although nothing comes to mind at the moment.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ironhorseriley

Post by ironhorseriley »

David,

I have not started that or any project yet as I am working two jobs right now. I knew this year was a bust, but hope to slow it down and maybe start something this summer. As another sage in our bunch has stated, "life gets in the way". I have been pouring over the book and the prints, though.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Hi Jim,

Okay, I understand. Last we spoke, you were moments away from getting some cold rolled steel to make the frames.

David
ironhorseriley

Post by ironhorseriley »

I am still holding on to the hope of appropriate castings. Continued frustration may steer me to a different design. I am not to keen on the $ it takes to get them from Blackgates.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Jim,

It seems as if you are exactly where you were a year and a half ago toward building your locomotive. You should be well into making the frames. Cold rolled steel is cheap and you only need a drill press to get started. You don't need castings to get started and all of the castings do not need to be purchased all at once. I did all of my casting and boiler material purchases in three lumps. I could not afford it all at once either. Everything else is made from barstock and sheet.

David
ironhorseriley

Post by ironhorseriley »

David,
You are, correct, I am where I was & I would have except as I said, I am working 2 jobs, ie, " no time". My first responsibly is to get my home life in order, so I can create the atmosphere to allow a hobby again.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Hi Jim,

Yes, no money and no time will make for pretty tough conditions to build a loco. I hope things eventually look better for you. Time marches on.

David
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

My cylinders will use bronze bushings for the steam and valve cylinders. Not too expensive and available through Amazon. (I also have a couple of CI motorcycle cylinder sleeves that I decided not to use.) For slide valves a false face of bronze or cast iron could be fitted as a wear surface. It could be silver soldered or even screwed down with gasket goop sealing between the cylinder block proper and the false face.

I can share copies of the three articles I used to work out the details if you send a PM.
Attachments
Cylinder block with holes finished.jpg