The Stand.......

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

ScaleModeler1974

The Stand.......

Post by ScaleModeler1974 »

Ha.......guess you all thought I ment Steven Kings "The Stand".

Nope.......my loco / Crate Motor stand.
Attachments
The roll around stand I just build.
The roll around stand I just build.
Stand 002.jpg
It is 6 feet long.....just enough to clutter up my shop.
It is 6 feet long.....just enough to clutter up my shop.
Very free rolling casters that a friend handed to me........so free rolling it tried to roll away from me when I went to take the pics of it.
Very free rolling casters that a friend handed to me........so free rolling it tried to roll away from me when I went to take the pics of it.
Stand 005.jpg
Heavy construction.
Heavy construction.
This ain`t gona fall apart on me any time soon.
This ain`t gona fall apart on me any time soon.
makinsmoke

Re: The Stand.......

Post by makinsmoke »

Dennis,
Very nice work.

One piece of advice. Think of it as a bridge on wheels.

You need longtitudinal stringers between the end pieces at the bottom to prevent them from moving in or out, and then some diagonal braces to keep it form twisting.

You don't want your work on the floor, and it is an easy fix.

Take care,
Brian
ScaleModeler1974

Yeah.......I was thinking about it........being that the Crate motor is only a few hundred pounds I had thought of letting it go for now.

But I might be persuaded to add the supports.
mjahn

Post by mjahn »

Nice bit of engineering! Just one small suggestion, you might want to put a 1x6 on each side to lay tools on if you're planning to work on your engine while its sitting on the stand.
Mattaniah Jahn

Matt Corps. Railsystems,
operating on the Manatee Central RR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62441046@N06/sets/
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

And dont forget the stops on the ends, just to keep free rolling from becoming free falling...

Wow, what a bunch of busybody Know-it-alls.. ( chuckle, :lol: )
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ScaleModeler1974 wrote:Yeah.......I was thinking about it........being that the Crate motor is only a few hundred pounds I had thought of letting it go for now.
Judging from the construction method and the load, I don't see much movement in the existing design, sans additional support. The way the 2 x 6 is bolted on each end, it has to bend to allow movement. Highly unlikely. That's actually a pretty clever design.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ScaleModeler1974

Harold_V wrote: Judging from the construction method and the load, I don't see much movement in the existing design, sans additional support. The way the 2 x 6 is bolted on each end, it has to bend to allow movement. Highly unlikely. That's actually a pretty clever design.

Harold
Thanks........I was going to use all 2 x 4`s but thought better of it and bought some 2 x 6`s for the uprights and the "Rails"......and I thought it wouldn`t hurt to add two 2 x 6`s for additional upright support.

I figured on using 2 x 4`s for the bottom of the uprights.....I went with three that are bolted and screwed ...AND wood glued together....along with the 1/2" OSB I had laying around.

Now on the other hand........if I ever do build a two unit set of Baldwin Centipede locomotives......wood stands will be OUT of the question.

I would build a heavy set of steel stands that could give Pam`s a run for the money :)
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Remember Big Dog,
All bridges at one time were WOOD!

Nothing wrong with a correctly designed bridge, but as a guy once told my friend in Colorado when he showed him plans for a D&RGW depot he wanted to build new to live in,"Sonny, You'll never find enough good wood in those lengths to build it, and if you do, you won't be able to afford it!"

Brian
ScaleModeler1974

Added something to the stand today.
Attachments
I added a 1 x 12 for a shelf.
I added a 1 x 12 for a shelf.
This shelf ain`t going nowhere.
This shelf ain`t going nowhere.
mjahn