Converting a lawn tractor to a locomotive

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Mr Ron

Converting a lawn tractor to a locomotive

Post by Mr Ron »

I'm sitting out a tropical storm and had an idea for a new locomotive. I have three lawn tractors that have good engines and transmissions, but the cutting decks are trash and not worth fixing. A replacement deck costs from $800 to $1000. My idea is to use the engine and transmission and build a diesel or electric locomotive in 3" scale. My lathe swings 11" so that would be the limit for wheel size. Has anyone tried this and what would be a suitable prototype to model. I would like to keep the size down to no more than 8' in length. I currently build in 1-1/2" scale, but I would like to put this old lawn tractor to use. Being a vertical shaft engine, I can't use it to drive a generator, so I will have to go with the hydraulic transmission. I'm thinking I will have to go with a rod drive, not trucks, as I would drive the wheels directly from the transmission.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
pockets

Re: Converting a lawn tractor to a locomotive

Post by pockets »

You may want to jump to 3.75 scale, depending on your engine selection. I have almost all the parts gathered for a 3.75" scale critter utilizing an old wheelhorse hydraulic drivetrain and a Kohler K-341, 16 horse engine. At 3.75" scale, you can ride in, not on. My wheels are RMI 9".

Greg B.
When the man at the door said, "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms," I naturally assumed it was a delivery.....

"From my cold, dead hand!" C. Heston
pwcphoto

Post by pwcphoto »

Well it doesn't run on tracks but I think it was built from a lawn mower and it is pretty neat.

http://www.southerncalifornialivesteame ... asp?id=148

enjoy,

Phil
"I used to be a rocket scientist, now i am just a space cadet"

RMI 3.75" scale Prairie 2-6-2 under construction.
View Progress
http://www.southerncalifornialivesteamers.com/Forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=18&SID=336957b14adb9765a37dez9785dz6cz7&title=steam-locomotive-construction
ScaleModeler1974

Post by ScaleModeler1974 »

You could use the vertical shaft engine to drive a generator or alternator.......use a belt, either V or toothed.

I know a guy that built a Hydraulic powered loco using a toothed belt to drive the hydro pump.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Pwcphoto, That video was absolutely fabulous. I might just forgo the track and use rubber tires. How did you do the smoke and sound? Something like that would fit in just great in our local mardi gras parades in South Mississippi.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi