New Alco S-4 by Bob Snippe

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH

Bill Wilkins

New Alco S-4 by Bob Snippe

Post by Bill Wilkins » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Got my Alco S-4 from Bob Snippe on Sunday a week ago at the Bed & Breakfast RR near Oregon, Ohio. :D
Wow, am I happy with it. :D It will be even better with some Green & Yellow paint on it. :D
We ran it for about an 1 1/2 hours. 4 other engineers besides me got a hand on the throttle. It was a good day in Ohio. :D
Got to pull Nates 24 wheel Pennsi flat car. :D What an awesome car.
Attached are a couple of pictures for this thread.

Bill W.
S-4 #5.JPG
S-4 #9.JPG
S-4 #8.JPG
Plum Cove Chassis, freelance body - 2008 - Present
Wabash 569 - Allen Mogul - April 09-Jan 12
Bob Snippe Alco S-4 - Feb 12 - Apr 15

Bill Wilkins

Re: New Alco S-4 by Bob Snippe

Post by Bill Wilkins » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Couple more S-4 pictures.

Bill W.
Attachments
051.JPG
S-4 #10.JPG
029.JPG

ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:57 pm

Bill...

Looks good. Like the idea that there's another type of SW body available on the market now. The power plant...kinda reminds me of the Morris SW. Nothing wrong with that. Simple. Reliable. If you've got Tolomatic gear boxes in the trucks...don't forget to get the loco up on some high rail and grease those at least 1x per year. The Honda engine...good running engine and quiet because of the proprietary exhaust muffler. Hope you don't have to lift the entire body to refill the gas tank. Is there a bypass lever on the hydrostat so the engine can free-wheel for loading/unloading?

And now...if you don't mind me asking...how come you sold your steamer? Curiosity got the best of me. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!

Bill Wilkins

Post by Bill Wilkins » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:53 pm

Hi Carl,
Bob has provided a means to bypass the hydrostat. A lever under the loco that you pull and pin .
I think they are the Tolomatic's, and they do have grease zerks.
The cab roof comes off.
Workmanship on the engine is outstanding. No complaints at all.
I sold the steamer because it was getting to be to much work. To much stress at the track. To hot!!! I don't do well in the heat, over 80 and I'm done for. The year after I finished the Mogul I had a knee replacement. It has come back to about 80%. Can't get down on my knees anymore. The legs are 67+ years old as is the rest of me.
The last run of last year I ran my little Plum Cove Switcher for probably 3 hours straight. Round & round just sitting there. Got me to thinking.
Bob's new S-4 popped up on DLS just as I made the decision to sell. I had not decided to buy right away, but the S-4 caught my eye.
I am excited about the engine. Now it will be hit the key, two blasts of the horn and I'm movin' on down the track. :D

Bill W.

Bob Snippe

Post by Bob Snippe » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:46 am

Bill,
Nothing compares to a happy locomotive owner.

The 5.5hp Honda gas engine coupled to an Eaton model 7 pump was first done by master builder Bill Koster. Steve Morris uses the same thing, but with a 2:1 gear reduction. The pump will only get 1,800rpm wide open. What I have done with the cog belt and pulley is, 3,600rpm on the gas engine is 2,850rpm at the pump input shaft. Took a lot more time and money for this, along with the ball bearing Tol-O-Matic right angle drives, compared to the bronze bushing Tol-O-Matic right angle drives. Another improvement is the needle bearing universal joints. These look like the size a car would have. They are so large, had to move the Tol-O-Matic right angle drives to the outboard axles on the trucks.

Taking a break from locomotives, and building some grain hoppers now.

Bob
Attachments
Details 1.jpg
Cog Belt.jpg
S-4 040.jpg

southwestern737

Post by southwestern737 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:14 pm

I have been going to take some video of s/n001 Southwestern 2012, but the weather has not cooperated with me this week, it has rained or been very foggy for the past several days. I have been running the engine every day just haven't got to take any video. I have done a few minor things to the engine to dress it up just a little bit, I put rubber edge trim around the windows, looks really good and makes the windows look like they are glazed, also put a flashers-R-us yellow rotating beacon on the roof, and I am putting a remote throttle on the control stick. The remote throttle isn't really needed but me riding car tends to derail when I lean to far forward. I pulled ten cars around my railroad last night, up and down 3% grades at nearly idle, plenty of power. Hopefully I can get some video on here next week.
Brent

Bill Wilkins

Post by Bill Wilkins » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:20 pm

Brent,
Can you bend the throttle rod back ? Or make a new one with two 90 degree bends 6 or 8" apart. That would help to not lean forward. What is the remote throttle ?
I did take some video that turned out pretty good. I have never put anything on U-tube. I see there is a youtube box above left ???
I to have been monkeying around with small things. Plugged 4 holes in the muffler. They were tapped 10-32.
Put some rubber caps on the battery posts. Installing air horns. Bob provided a double throw center off switch so I am going to wire the air horns on one throw and the regular horn on the other one. I'm going to make a latch for the hydo lever so I won't have to get down on the ground to put the pin in when I want to move the loco by hand.
I am going to make a one truck engineers car. The front will attach to the coupler pocket. Just moved the cut-off saw out in the open today to start cutting pieces.
Nice to know she will pull. A lot of weight in that engine. Bob didn't skimp on the chassis metal.
Any idea on fuel usage yet ?

Bill W.

southwestern737

Post by southwestern737 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:19 pm

Bill,
It's not the rod, the rod on my engine already had a bend in it, it is easy to reach. The throttle for the honda engine is what I was talking about, I was just going to put an extension on the existing control so it would stick out the window, but I realized that the hardware for a cable control was already on the honda engine, so I got a lawnmower style throtle lever and cable and mounted it on the rod that controls the locomotive hydraulics, now I can move the hydraulic control rod and the engine RPM controls with one hand at the same time. I will see if I can post a picture later.
Brent

southwestern737

Post by southwestern737 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:42 pm

Here are a few photos showing the window trim, beacon, and remote throttle. I am still not sure about fuel consumption except that it doesn't burn much, not sure how long you could run on one tank but I think you could run for at least a couple of hours without needing to fill up.
Brent
Attachments
100_8974.JPG
100_8975.JPG
100_8976.JPG

Bill Wilkins

Post by Bill Wilkins » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:01 pm

That white and orange looks fantastic. Now I know what you mean with the throttle. That is a great idea.
Is the window trim just automotive black tubing split. That's what I figured I would do. It looks good, definitely finishes off the window openings.
Hope you don't mind me asking, where did you get the Beacon ? It is scale size. Strobe or flashing 12v bulb ?
Couple pics of my mods.
I started on the engineers car today.
Is that a piece of water line PVC or is it a "bumb" your sitting on ? (Peter Sellers from Pink Panther)
Bill
Attachments
Starter Mod.JPG
Had trouble getting my fat hand through the window.
Air Horns 1.JPG
Both horns work. Airs much louder.

southwestern737

Post by southwestern737 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:35 pm

Bill,
Great idea on the key I also like the horns. The rubber around the windows is called edge trim, I got it from McMasterCarr they have many sizes and profiles to chose from, can't remember what size that is but I can measure It next week if you want me to. The beacon is scale, it has four LEDs that flash in sequince to make it look like I is rotating, the beacon and electronics are availible from Flashers-R-us, they sell lights and all sorts of diesel detail parts. Yep that is a scrap of schedule 40 PVC water pipe I found in a dumpster. The seat is attached but slides in a slot about 10" long so it is adjustable.
Brent

Bill Wilkins

Post by Bill Wilkins » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:27 pm

The start of the engineer's car. Single Tom Bee truck. It will direct connect to the back of the S-4.
Started to weld it up and had trouble with the wire welder. Couldn't slow the feed down. Opened it up found the little potentiometer on the circuit board and got that fixed. Then discovered a leak at the gas regulator, fitting cracked. Got that fixed and now the tank is empty. At least I got all the parts cut out. More pics as I progress.

Bill W.
Attachments
Feb 21, 2012 011.JPG