Long Island ALCO Century 420 in construction.

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Mr Ron

Re: Long Island ALCO Century 420 in construction.

Post by Mr Ron »

Your Alco looks fantastic. The LIRR has always been my favorite since I grew up along the LIRR tracks in Jamaica. I left N.Y. around 1960, so I'm not familar with the 420. I do remember the Alco and FM switchers. Do you or anyone remember the electric DD1's and the 4-6-0's that ran to the end of the island? I'm building a DD1 now in 1/8 scale. It will operate, but my intention is to not make it a riding model, as I am building it from materials (mostly wood). Think of it as O-gauge on steroids.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Thank you for the compliment on the ALCO. These were the last big road power of the independent LIRR, being ushered in as the big FM's were traded out. I truth, I really like the FM designs for appearance, but this was a first time out project. I never saw a DD1 run on the Island, but I did see the last pair in service in Sunnyside Yard, for the Pennsy. I am fortunate to be able to say, I saw the last few years of LIRR steam as a very little boy. My father placed the two surviving G5's on display in 1956.

There is a gentleman in the Long Island Live Steamers with a pair of 1/8th scale operating DD1's. He has also built a string of MP54 LIRR MU cars. All run off electricity and should be see on their website. Please post pictures of your model as you fabricate it. I want to see the progress and how you construct it.

Dick
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

PRR5406 wrote:Thank you for the compliment on the ALCO. These were the last big road power of the independent LIRR, being ushered in as the big FM's were traded out. I truth, I really like the FM designs for appearance, but this was a first time out project. I never saw a DD1 run on the Island, but I did see the last pair in service in Sunnyside Yard, for the Pennsy. I am fortunate to be able to say, I saw the last few years of LIRR steam as a very little boy. My father placed the two surviving G5's on display in 1956.

There is a gentleman in the Long Island Live Steamers with a pair of 1/8th scale operating DD1's. He has also built a string of MP54 LIRR MU cars. All run off electricity and should be see on their website. Please post pictures of your model as you fabricate it. I want to see the progress and how you construct it.

Dick
As a kid, I would stand along side the tracks in Jamaica and watch the DD1's come barreling down the track. Their 72" drivers would impose high loads on the track, but they were very reliable. Because of their high stance, large drivers and side rods, the engine would sway from side to side. They were silent and could sneak up on you if you were not careful. Of the commuter lines around, the LIRR has been the most successful and will continue on.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

The very lovely ceremony of The Easter Welding having taken place, today's update of the P 54 riding car in progress.

I decided to go with standard coach with windows over the less common combine. One side is placed and welded into location I added a bulkhead behind the vestibule, which will seal off the battery compartment from 8" tall commuters who may be going aboard. Note the floor in the battery compartment, formerly an old shelf scarfed off the town dump. The seat is off a fork lift, discarded in a replacement upgrade. I hope to get the opposite welded in tomorrow and prep for installation of the windows prior to undercoated and painting. Note the foot plate is expanded steel grate, something I learned for Reynald Proulx, the Master Builder of Quebec City. Behind the grating and under the seat will be a sloped steel plate to enclose the whole business.

Hope this scratches the model update for you guys.

"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Bruce_Mowbray

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

Is that the "ping" end or the "pong" end? Those from LI will understand. You'll have to fabricate one of those goofy pressed steel truck frames too. We have one or two at ST if you need measurements or photos.
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

I have attempted to draw the truck in scale, then will make a wooden model for casting. Yes, it's the "pong" end :-) .
I would really appreciate the pictures and measurements of the real deal! I am especially interested in the the bolster and side frame details.
Funny thing about those trucks is, I remember trains hurtling through Mineola on a Friday night, moving at 70mph, with "pings" bobbing everywhere, and the trucks never failed. By that time, they were close to 60 years in service!

But back to topic, yes, I'd love measurements and photos in detail.

richard.glueck@gmail.com
Bruce_Mowbray

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

They are very wimpy looking trucks. Something that Buddy-L might put out. Even the journal boxes and springs seem way too small for a passenger car. You may be able to get the whole side frame stamped out from one piece of sheet stock like the prototype. Add some detail rivets and you'll be done. I should be able to get the pics and dims this week.
Bruce Mowbray
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

In response to a diminishing number of requests, here is the latest on the riding car from which the operator will run the Long Island C420. I need to finish the wiring but the cable receptacle is installed in the front, under the grating. The red led's are installed in the rear of the car. I will fabricate the roof and add the side windows next The coupler in this cast is a short shank aluminum dummy, just for the photos. The accurate truck frames have not yet been fabricated, but she'll ride well enough on Bettendorfs for the time being.

PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

I've wired in the LED "bullseye" markers installed plexiglass windows (which are great collectors of sawdust), and constructed the roof. The roof was darned difficult, as I tried to get precise edges and lack the necessary machines to do it well. Okay, I'm not thrilled with the the roof, but it can be replaced later on.
I fabricated cables to safely link the batteries and all that remains is to install them. In other words, she's all but ready to power the ALCO #206. There are numerous little gaps and tweaks that still need doing, but in essence, this is the riding car you'll see behind LIRR #206. I hope to bring them to Penn Live Steamers next week.
This is how I generally remember these great classic cars. I have to get letters made up and add the "Dashing Dan" logo.

I compared this shot to one of a P54 stopped at Mineola station, and I got a chill at the comparison. I have to say, I am pleased with that effect.

The seat is adjustable, but I haven't yet fixed it in place.

For the record, this is car 7843, which really existed.

The one detail I must add, is a string of flounders hanging off the back. My big brother and I would go to Oyster bay and fish out of a row boat he rented. We'd bring home scores of flounder. Conductor Dan Harrington would hang them on the rear platform for the trip home. Happiness was riding the trains to Oyster bay and fishing with your big brother, riding the trains you loved. Good memory from around 1959.
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

Looks good Dick. Should be able to pick you out on the ground line with the unique look.
One suggestion would to put some edging of some sorts on the plywood under the seat. The grain catches my eye. Cats will be following you around when they see the flounders!
I'm headed to Waushakum in the morning to run highline.

Bob
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0
Bruce_Mowbray

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

Here are some pics of the Pressed Steel trucks used on the LIRR Ping Pong cars. A few measurements I took for reference:
Wheelbase 76"
Wheel diameter 33"
Overall frame length 105"
Top of frame 5" wide
Overall frame height 29"
Spreader width 31"
Bolster width 16"
Top of frame to bottom of spring plank 26"
We don't have the leaf spring pack in there as we use this as a shop truck.
If you want any other shots or measurements, let me know.
Attachments
Pingpong01rsz.jpg
Pingpong02rsz.jpg
Pingpong03rsz.jpg
Pingpong04rsz.jpg
Pingpong05rsz.jpg
Bruce Mowbray
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Here it is, rolling and riding as a guest at Pennsylvania Live Steamers. PLS is one of the most congenial, well planned, and animated courses I've ridden on.

High tension lines were a test in themselves. Not only did my arm hairs rise when I passed them, my electric horn would blow by itself, change pitch, and occasionally the loco would suddenly conk out. You could hear the wires hum, too! Induction?

Paralleling a 1" scale Hudson, which left me in the dust! One of the neat things about PLS is the variety of scales and the chance to ride alongside others.

Under the beautiful semaphores! Like steam locomotives, semaphore signals seem to be at the heart of railroading. I always thought they were a superior signal, but the railroads probably liked the lack of moving parts in colored electric lights.

Anyway, this concludes this topic for awhile. Some notes: I am going to put the correct trucks under the riding car. These springs are too weak for the number of batteries I presently have. Currently I have four x 6 volt batteries and the weight is excruciating. I need two 12 volters and things will run more smoothly. Two of my axles had to be replaced on the road and were through the good graces of Michael and Jane McDivitt in Pennsylvania, and Paul Godin in Massachusetts. The bearings slipped off and the axles were devoured! What great friends I've met in this hobby, who would say, "Hey, come to my house and we'll turn a replacement tonight!" Last thing is a big one. I have decided to lengthen the riding car by adding a section in the middle. It's a pain, but the newer car will accommodate a better spread of weight and gear.

I want to thank all who encouraged me, commented and made suggestions. I wanted to make a small testament to the Long Island Rail Road, and I think this has been a good one. Diesel isn't steam, that's for certain, but this was a first project of my own and I have learned a million things. Still some "tweaking" to go, but what a sense of accomplishment.