Two-axle Welsh narrow gauge freight cars

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Benjamin Maggi

Two-axle Welsh narrow gauge freight cars

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

I am interested in building a riding car for my Sweet Pea engine, which is a Welsh narrow-gauge design (my engine is technically a Sweet William as it will ride on 7.25" gauge track) and I want to construct a Welsh 2-foot narrow-gauge inspired car to use as a riding car/tender. Essentially, I need help designing a sturdy 2-axle chassis which I can stretch and modify for a variety of cars, with details added to suit the prototype.

I looked around and saw that Cannonball Limited (bobber caboose) and Little Engines (Crab riding car) both offer 2-axle cars, though it appears both are only available RTR. I want a simple frame that I can adapt and use as a basis for building a body on top of. I realize that visually both have different styles of springing than the Welsh narrow gauge cars I plan to copy from.

Does anyone have experience with the LE crab car? Can someone take a picture of what you get? Their catalog/online website shows a pretty blurry picture. I also have a backissue of LS where J.E.N. built some quick and easy cars like this, if I recall correctly.

Thanks.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
makinsmoke

Re: Two-axle Welsh narrow gauge freight cars

Post by makinsmoke »

SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

Reeves has this. It would be cheaper to make patterns and have the parts cast here, but maybe the drawings would help.

http://shop.ajreeves.com/7-14-gauge-4-w ... -158-c.asp

Steve
Bill Wilkins

Post by Bill Wilkins »

Nothing wrong with 2 axle cars.
I took the axles off of a damaged Bobber Caboose and built this "Bobber Boxcar" with hinged roof.
Bill W.
Attachments
April 24, 2012 007.JPG
April 24, 2012 008.JPG
April 24, 2012 005.JPG
Plum Cove Chassis, freelance body - 2008 - Present
Wabash 569 - Allen Mogul - April 09-Jan 12
Bob Snippe Alco S-4 - Feb 12 - Apr 15
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

The biggest obstacle to getting started, is getting started. Buy some wheel blanks and start turning a set of wheels, then the axles with the shoulders to fit the wheels.. When you have 4 complete sets, you should have sketched or drawn an idea of what you want. Start with a piece of plywood that could be the floor, say 3/4 inch, and get a full sized feel for how its gonna go together. Leaf springs can be dummies out of bar stock, or actual industrial leafs from a cord winder clock spring, or some die springs of a weight chosen from a supply house. I like junk shopping. From here you can go crazy imagineering the details and making them work. I like the turn of the century stuff, becasue most of it was built for the need by that particualr rail operation, and usually had a homey feel, and family llook.

Roll off dead center and enjoy tinkering with your ideas. For me its the most fun, even creating a story of why things were done a peculiar way.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

makinsmoke wrote:Cannonball offers these...

http://cannonballltd.com/products_img/pt21310.jpg
Not only is that a good place to start, but I bet I could turn them on my small lathe! Thanks. However did you find this? I don't see it on their catalog. I see the parts listed, but not a picture. And it looks like more is included in the picture then shown online. I will give Cannonball a call this week to confirm, but thanks for your help everybody!
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Hi Beej,
If looking at their catalog pages and an item is boldened in blue, it is a link. Click on it to bring up a photo.

You can also buy them RTR...

Take care,
Brian
Bill Wilkins

Post by Bill Wilkins »

Hey Ben M,
Did you ever get the Ride Trains Davenport project completed or is it a WIP?
Bill W.
Bill Wilkins

Post by Bill Wilkins »

Maybe it was the Box Cab I was thinking about, not a Davenport.
I found a pic of construction of the Box Cab to force me to remember. I liked that engine drawing.
Is it a WIP, work in progress, or do you have it complete ?
The little boxcar I have is light, I can pick it up by the couplers pretty easy. Once on the track I load in the water jug and snacks for the day, makes a little heavier. I have had no track problems with it.
Bill W.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Bill: It was a Davenport chassis and I built a boxcab body for it. I ran into a problem that I am working out, but hope to have the body completed next month.