GE 44 ton switcher drawings

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

WJH

GE 44 ton switcher drawings

Post by WJH »

Does anyone know where I can get a set of drawings for the GE 44 ton switcher?
Steve Bratina

Re: GE 44 ton switcher drawings

Post by Steve Bratina »

Moder Railroader Magazine

April, 73 , page 50
May 55, page 34
September 78, page 80

Prototype data on Arcade and Attica units
September 78, pages 80 and 112
WJH

Post by WJH »

Thanks, for the info. Today I drove down to Niles Canyon RR and took measurements of their GE 44 ton and even sat in the cab.
Pleasantly surprised to find the GE 44ton is even a simpler design than I imagined.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Steve,
About the A&A- the drawings in the Model Railroader are good but I am not sure if they will be what the RB211 wants. As I understand it, according to Extra 2200 South magazine (April and May 1975), there were four different "Phases" or distinct identification periods for 44-tonner engines. As the A&A is my favorite railroad, I hope to build a model of one in 1/8 scale someday. I already have in HO and 1:29 scale.

I mention this because I went down the road of researching for the 44-tonner and have the issues that feature the 44-tonners. I don't believe I am allowed to post them online due to copyrights and infringements and all, but I am willing to loan my magazines out to RB211 if it will help. Just send me a private message.

There is a gentleman in our local live steam club (Adirondack Live Steamers) who has built one already, and I am more then a little envious of it. I know of at least one more built by a gentleman in Rhode Island. Rail Systems quoted me a price of $6,600 to build one a few years ago, but I didn't have the money then, or now.

It is a great little engine, my favorite diesel engine, and would be useful if some manufacturer would make them as they are small enough to fit in cars, maybe trunks, etc.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
WJH

Post by WJH »

Benjamin Maggi wrote:Steve,
About the A&A- the drawings in the Model Railroader are good but I am not sure if they will be what the RB211 wants. As I understand it, according to Extra 2200 South magazine (April and May 1975), there were four different "Phases" or distinct identification periods for 44-tonner engines. As the A&A is my favorite railroad, I hope to build a model of one in 1/8 scale someday. I already have in HO and 1:29 scale.

I mention this because I went down the road of researching for the 44-tonner and have the issues that feature the 44-tonners. I don't believe I am allowed to post them online due to copyrights and infringements and all, but I am willing to loan my magazines out to RB211 if it will help. Just send me a private message.

There is a gentleman in our local live steam club (Adirondack Live Steamers) who has built one already, and I am more then a little envious of it. I know of at least one more built by a gentleman in Rhode Island. Rail Systems quoted me a price of $6,600 to build one a few years ago, but I didn't have the money then, or now.

It is a great little engine, my favorite diesel engine, and would be useful if some manufacturer would make them as they are small enough to fit in cars, maybe trunks, etc.
I am going to build one modeled after #6 that belonged to the Skaneateles Short Line Railroad. Apparently it is somewhere in NY still being used...
I thought perhaps down the road I would offer plans to build a GE 44 tonner but that will be a ways away. Here is my current Solidworks rendering of the trucks. Since your willing to help me, I will be more than happy to share you my drawings for this locomotive, just PM me.

shayloco

Post by shayloco »

Here is my interpretation of a GE 44 tonner. An RV deep discharge battery under each end with the electrical controls in the center. Four axle hung motors for power.

I used 1/2" flat bar for the side frames, 1/4" flat bar for the equalizers. A good place to add weight.

-Larry
Attachments
44TonSide.JPG
WJH

Post by WJH »

I scaled the model from pictures based on 1/8th scale.
Now considering redoing the dimensions to 1.6 scale to get a more realistic size to the gauge of track.
But again, it is a small locomotive and the 6% may not add up to too much difference?
Steamingdanny

Post by Steamingdanny »

someone should describe the construction of one, with photos, mcmaster carr part no's for motor systems...

would be a great read
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Steamingdanny wrote:someone should describe the construction of one, with photos, mcmaster carr part no's for motor systems...

would be a great read
Check out this forum thread: A high-school age student built a 1/8 scale model mostly from scratch, with the body made up of laser-cut wood. It was a very intersting read in 2008 when he built it, and here below in 2010 when he rebuilt it.
http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?bo ... 681;start=
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
WJH

Post by WJH »

Benjamin Maggi wrote:
Steamingdanny wrote:someone should describe the construction of one, with photos, mcmaster carr part no's for motor systems...

would be a great read
Check out this forum thread: A high-school age student built a 1/8 scale model mostly from scratch, with the body made up of laser-cut wood. It was a very intersting read in 2008 when he built it, and here below in 2010 when he rebuilt it.
http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?bo ... 681;start=
Clearly I am not alone in using Chinese scooter motors!
Comments are that the engine flies like the wind.. In an ideal world, use the ratio that gives you the maximum speed allowed for the clubs track. In case of the GE 44 ton, around 5 to 6 mph is a scale maximum speed, and max speed allowed at least at the GGLS. Hard to figure out however what ratio to use until you actually test it. Free RPM is not the same as loaded rpm.
Steamingdanny

Post by Steamingdanny »