Galloping Goose-My First project

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

James A

Galloping Goose-My First project

Post by James A »

I have a HO club friend who has 1.6" on his property and also is a machinist by trade with a large machine shop. This is the only scale he works in. I spent a Saturday a few months back helping him fix some track and then running his trains. I got hooked. I spent some time looking around at what's out there in this scale looking for a much larger project but ended up with everything I need to build one of the Discover Live Steam Galloping Geese. He's helped me with some welding and showed me how to use one of his mills so I could make a couple of aluminum brackets. Here a couple of pictures. of my progress.

This was just before we test ran it with a riding car.

Disassembled, sandblasted and primed.
Pontiacguy1

Re: Galloping Goose-My First project

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Nice Work. You'll be out there riding the rails soon.

I've thought about building one of those for my kids to be able to ride around on, and of course just cruise around on without having to fire up a steamer.
James A

Post by James A »

Pontiacguy1 wrote:Nice Work. You'll be out there riding the rails soon.

I've thought about building one of those for my kids to be able to ride around on, and of course just cruise around on without having to fire up a steamer.

Thanks, it's been a fun project so far. My goal is to build a steamer. Today I painted everything black. I should have the running gear back on by the weekend. The castings are cleaned up and ready to tap and pre-assemble, then paint.
Patrick.B

Post by Patrick.B »

Very cool.

Good idea of building a small non-steam locomotive as your first. A lot of people jump into this hobby head first getting a large locomotive, or worse - waiting forever for that "perfect one" to come along.

Need to wet your feet to be sure you really want to move further into the hobby, as 7.5" gauge is a far different beast from HO!

Good luck, and most importantly - have fun!
Northeastern Ohio Live Steamers
3.5", 4.75", & 7.5" gauge club
Medina, Ohio
www.neols.net
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Totally agree... I always say to start out small and simple for your first project, including for your first steam locomotive. A running 0-4-0 is a whole lot more fun than a half-finished pacific chassis sitting on your bench! My advice about building a steamer would be to build something small at first, nothing bigger than a mogul, something that you can have finished in about 1,200 hours or so. After you've built it and gotten it running, built up your tools and your skills, THEN go out and tackle your 'dream' locomotive, whatever it is: Pacific, Northern, Challenger, or that Virginian 2-10-10-2 you've been salivating over! :D
bill4227

Post by bill4227 »

Great Start.

I built the Goose and everyone loves it.

Bill
James A

Post by James A »

Thanks, that is some good advice. I am a "bigger is always better" type of guy but in reality that isn't always true. I am still a few months away from starting an engine as I want to build a riding car next. Here are a couple of pics from today. I got frame, drive wheels and bottom of the deck painted and everything assembled. Next is to start putting the castings together and building the cab. I have everything so this gets started this week.

steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I think I may be the first to throw a rock in the pond here and let the ripples go... Just by eye and nothing else, the angle that holds the front truck bolster pin (bolt), looks to me like it needs a gusset brace back to the frame rails, for more stability, to prevent bending incase of a hit or heavy derail. Otherwise, keep it coming.

How are you going to mount the front cowguard? If body moounted, any taps and bumps have the potential for major bodywork?

Just a few thoughts. May they be good for you.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
James A

Post by James A »

steamin10 wrote:I think I may be the first to throw a rock in the pond here and let the ripples go... Just by eye and nothing else, the angle that holds the front truck bolster pin (bolt), looks to me like it needs a gusset brace back to the frame rails, for more stability, to prevent bending incase of a hit or heavy derail. Otherwise, keep it coming.

How are you going to mount the front cowguard? If body moounted, any taps and bumps have the potential for major bodywork?

Just a few thoughts. May they be good for you.

How dare you :lol: Suggestions are always welcome. I'm trying to learn so any ideas other than my own are great. The pic of the underside doesn't really show much detail. The the bolt is welded at the head and the frame rest directly on the truck bolster separated by a large plastic washer. I see what you mean about bending the bolt. Maybe welding it in place wasn't the best idea.

The cowguard mounts to the front of the deck via 4 metal straps. I guess if it took a big hit there would be some repair needed to the deck and or cowguard.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I was refering to the Oct 9th post and Pics which pretty much show only an angle iron cut to a flat. This is what looks 'soft ' to me. I would add two small triangle gussets to reinforce this piece. But that is just me. You can do what you wish with your project, but I would caution you, that it is amazing how much stress and pounding these little trains take while under our behinds, creating miles of smiles. Keeping things simple and strong has its own rewards, as does avoiding breakage along the way. Cheers!
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
James A

Post by James A »

steamin10 wrote:I was refering to the Oct 9th post and Pics which pretty much show only an angle iron cut to a flat. This is what looks 'soft ' to me. I would add two small triangle gussets to reinforce this piece. But that is just me. You can do what you wish with your project, but I would caution you, that it is amazing how much stress and pounding these little trains take while under our behinds, creating miles of smiles. Keeping things simple and strong has its own rewards, as does avoiding breakage along the way. Cheers!

Oh ok. Now I understand what your refering to and I hadn't thought of that being a weak point. I may go back and add something there. Thanks for the suggestion.
James A

Post by James A »

I have made a little progress since my last post. Still some work to do on the cab and castings before it gets paint. I really need to build a stand and get it off my workbench.