% of chain contact to sprocket

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

cbrew

% of chain contact to sprocket

Post by cbrew »

Good Morning All,
I am in the middle of re powering the ole box cab i used to run as a kid

I have retired the 90 degree gear boxes and going with chain drive,
I am looking for facts and opinion on the min % of chain contact with the driving sprocket.

the motor will be mounted under the deck, just above inline with the two axles,

1) is to run a single chain around both axles and the motor (forming a triangle)

2) is to run twin chains (if i can twin sprocket that will fit the motor)

3) buy a second motor

Thanks
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
srrl5

Re: % of chain contact to sprocket

Post by srrl5 »

If you can add an idler sprocket close to but outside the motor so the chain can't slip over the teeth on the motor sprocket you should be fine. If you make it adjustable you can also take slack out of the chain as it wears.

David
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

srrl5 wrote:If you can add an idler sprocket close to but outside the motor so the chain can't slip over the teeth on the motor sprocket you should be fine. If you make it adjustable you can also take slack out of the chain as it wears.

David
Yeah, I was thinking that also. Thanks
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

You can run a single chain to one axle and then run a chain from one axle to the other. Then all chains will have a full 180 degree wrap and no idlers needed, unless you need to adjust for slack (which, given that you are retrofitting to an existing dimension, you may need to).

Steve