Electric/Diesel Loco Identity

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

gwrdriver

Electric/Diesel Loco Identity

Post by gwrdriver »

Can someone identify this 7.5"ga engine and tell me something about it? Any information would be appreciated. I am trying to help the family dispose of it (coming soon to Marketplace) and I know very little about non-steam locos.
Attachments
ENGINE2.jpg
Last edited by gwrdriver on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Benjamin Maggi

Re: Electric/Diesel Loco Identity

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

What is the gauge? I know RMI at one time offered engines of the narrow-gauge persuasion that looked like this. Also, Rail Systems I think offered a GE 70-tonner which this purports to be too.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Ben,
7-1/2" gauge
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Definitely a GE 70 ton model of which the SP had about 20 of at one time for light weight rail, bridges where the heavier diesels were restricted by Special Instructions. Often referred to as wooden axle shortline locomotives, they also fit around tight curves with ease. Not much for speed but they had a surprising amount of tractive effort.

The numbering series started with 5100 and never did change in the major renumbering of 1965.

Years ago there was an outfit known as Texas Railroad Supply that used to supply some detail castings and parts for this model but they long since have vanished from the market.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

I do not believe that is a Rail Systems loco.

The trucks resemble the dark photos on RMI's website.

Wondering if someone built one themselves from available parts.

Brian
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

This model has been around for quite sometime. I was looking through some old color prints taken at LALS during the 1990 Spring Meet. Here was a photo I had forgotten about showing what appears to be the same model without a numeral on the cab. There was a For Sale sign on the hood that day. I do not remember seeing the locomotive run.

Even at that time models of a GE 70 tonner were rather rare. The only other one that I had seen prior to that day at LALS was years before when one showed up at work. This guy drove into the parking lot with a 1.5 scale model of a GE 70 ton just like we ran at the Modesto & Empire Traction Co in Modesto, CA. It was quite a hit with those present that afternoon. Here was a model painted just like the fleet of locomotives we operated from the late 1940's to their removal from service years later in 2011.

Robert
Attachments
GE 70 ton model as LALS.jpg
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

The owners were certain they had all the paperwork on the engine, and they may still, but it hasn't been found yet. What has been found are several controller boxes, all marked Little Engines, and there is nothing else for them to go to than this locomotive. Maybe this will shed some light on what it is.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

I just found an ID plate and it's "Little Engines - Durango." It was probably bought (new) around 1998-2000. Does anyone have a catalogue sheet or any other paper for this engine?
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
jkimberln

Post by jkimberln »

gwrdriver wrote:I just found an ID plate and it's "Little Engines - Durango." It was probably bought (new) around 1998-2000. Does anyone have a catalogue sheet or any other paper for this engine?
I checked LE catalog #300 (no date) and it is not listed. This is a cat from Durango. LE was bought by John Braun from Moodie Braun (no relation) after Moodie got it from Irene Lewis. John Braun is still in Durango and making boilers so far as I know. Suggest you just call him....

JerryK
Solar1953

Post by Solar1953 »

Have they decided what the asking price might be?