M-10005 'City of Denver'

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

morten1996

M-10005 'City of Denver'

Post by morten1996 »

Hi all,
Some pictures of the building process of my current (main) project, UP's M-10005 'City of Denver'

It started with the frame mainly made of 2"x1" steel tubes . Body-Bolsters are made of U-tube of app. 3/16" thickness.
Roller bearings were fitted into the body-bolster to get friction-less turning of the trucks.

Each truck has two 36V, 750W PM-Motors connected via chain and an idler to the axle. Two countersunk 'trays' in the middle of the unit holding six car-batteries in total lowering the center of gravity.

As already mentioned in another thread the shell was built up with fiber-boards for the side-panels, extruded metal panels (supported by cross members) for the roof and a foam-core for the unit's nose.

Then several layers of glass-fiber were epoxied inside and outside.

The interior of the nose with the foam core removed

Most of the cut-out for windows, grills ,doors etc. applied

And finally the shell (with grills, some window-frames, basic anti-climber, the final headlight-tube etc.) attached to the chassis - meanwhile I have raised the shell about 3/4" to avoid the overlap of the wheels and the shell.

The exhaust manifold is countersunk into the (white) detachable roof panel. The compressed air coolers, which were also mounted on this panel, have been finished last month (pix later).

The B-unit has been done up to the same status - currently I'm working on the lower skirts of the unit (thin steel tube-section as a basic layer covered with heavy glass-fiber layers).

Regards
Norman
Last edited by morten1996 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steamingdanny

Re: M-10005 'City of Denver'

Post by Steamingdanny »

Very nice!

No snow on the ground? I'm jealous
James A

Post by James A »

WOW! That is nice.
gcarsen

Post by gcarsen »

Very Nice work Norman,
Please be posting more frequently with pictures of your methods, and progress! I have quite a bit interest in the early streamliner too!

what are you using for references, and drwaings?

Grant
morten1996

Post by morten1996 »

Hello Grant,

I use Kratville's books on UP motive power and streamliners. More detailed photos and floor plans are in the book 'Pullman standard library UP 1933-1937 streamliners' (available from RPC publications).
Finally I put the money into buying an Overland H0-model of the M-10005 (the modernized version with the front mars-light).

Regards
Norman
Last edited by morten1996 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

Very nice rendition of such an iconic engine. I look forward to seeing it finished.
morten1996

Post by morten1996 »

Finally the basic construction of the unit's pilot has been finished.
An 'interior' look into the fabricated pilot (basic frame of steel tubes, ribs from iron flat bar and the pilot itself made from a iron stove-pipe; further details on the building process are here:
http://large-scaledieselmodels.blogspot ... ction.html

And the part mounted to the chassis with the shell on top:

Regards
Norman
morten1996

Post by morten1996 »

With improved weather outside I took some new pix of the assembled A-unit finally.

And a close-up picture of 'my version' of the compressed air cooler on the unit's roof (thin washers simulate the fins around the air-pipe; a thin grid protects the fins from debris' impact during high-speed runs):

Regards
Norman
morten1996

Post by morten1996 »

The pilot has received the 'chrome-trim' (made from brass) and several (ornamental) hex-nuts. Additionally the anti-climber was detailed and the rubber buffer was adapted.

Regards
Norman
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

Wow that is really looking great!
Solar1953

Post by Solar1953 »

Holy Mackeral!!! That looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!
morten1996

Post by morten1996 »

The B-unit's shell is basically finished. It has the steam generator outlets on the rear and the water intake hatches on the front.
Additionally I made some progress with the trucks' side-frames - the springs ('fake' leaf- and coil-springs) are still missing as well as the four brake cylinders on each truck.

Regards
Norman