Cannonball Little Gasser Type ?Questions?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

wa6mdi

Re: Cannonball Little Gasser Type ?Questions?

Post by wa6mdi »

Actually if you need pictures, measurements etc. Let me know, I have one in the garage and will be happy to share information.

And if your in North Texas around the DFW airport you can stop by.

Dick
ironhorseriley

Post by ironhorseriley »

I don't at the moment, but you never know. I will keep you in mind. Thanks for helping along this topic.
Jim, Former railroader, fascinated by wood working & “all things engineered”.
NcdodaveNpc#21

Post by NcdodaveNpc#21 »

I no longer have my "Gasser" as I have since upgraded to a larger locomotive. It did have the centrifugal clutch with the Eaton transmission. I wrote an article on the DLS website on the rebuild of the transmission with lots of photos along with step by step instructions. The transmissions are difficult to come by but you can get one from ebay when they occasionally come up for sale. The locomotive has no plans to build one from scratch as all the parts were cast and you could assemble one with regular garage tools.
ironhorseriley

Post by ironhorseriley »

I am lucky to have acquired 3 transmissions, 2 are 3 speed forward, N & R as well as one single speed F N R. I am thinking about using the centrifugal clutch drive for simplicity and cost. They do overheat easily with the tendency to do way too much slipping in our type of usage so I am trying to think up a double reduction drive after the transmission to allow it to be in "full on" position more often which would be a much slower track speed, but not a problem for my proposed small backyard loop.
Jim, Former railroader, fascinated by wood working & “all things engineered”.