S-4 Fest

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

atsfsteam

Re: S-4 Fest

Post by atsfsteam »

Well Bob, you promised to have it done before I got there, broken promise. you promised to get it done before I left, broken promise. You first promised it by last April and then the middle of the summer. I told you I had to be back in Texas for another meet and could not hang around. After hearing about everyone's deals with you, I think I did right before it was too late. I was not going to go thru more broken promises.
I spent allot of money getting ready for the S4. I just want to forget this whole deal and find a locomotive ready to go.
I did that, so I am washing my hands of this whole mess.
No more comments.
I did print out our text conversations for a record.
J.T. Bailey
Box Cab & 4-6-2 Pacific
SWLS,HALS & IBLS
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Bob Snippe wrote:Bill, built and delivered the trucks under your locomotive.
That you did, although I ended up having to scrap the bolsters and make new ones because the traction motor mounting brackets were too low and would occasionally scrape the railhead when going through turnouts and diamonds. I have since made new wheelsets because it had been a constant struggle to keep the wheels tight on the originals. Put bluntly, the workmanship left something to be desired when it came to fit and finish.

Let's not forget about the caboose I purchased from you to give you some working capital. It was a nice caboose, but hardly needed (it's been in storage for a number of years).
The body, $2k for everything was too light. I was going to build 5 of them. The other 4 backed out, you got the nose casting, end casting, my cost was $1k. Then I bought an O scale model to work from, made everything, and brought it to you. So 500 hours, $150.00 into the O scale model.
I'm sorry that you low-balled your price, but that was your call, not mine. I never held your feet to the fire on a price.
You will get your $1k refund.
You also owe BCS Technology Limited 105 dollars for the scalerailcars.com domain registration that you requested and received. Plus I'm still awaiting my MDM detail parts that I hope you still have.
atsfsteam wrote:I did print out our text conversations for a record.
My server is full of "conversations" of that sort.

Mr. Snippe and I started the back-and-forth on my F-unit body in December 2002, and I had the foresight to maintain copies of the numerous E-mail messages sent and received on this topic. To date, there are some 600 of them—a veritable litany of broken promises, obfuscation and other assorted BS. Rather than being a man about it, admitting that he couldn't get the job done and refunding my money, he continued to BS and obfuscate—and waste my time! That was his biggest sin: wasting my time and causing this project to stall. The loco itself was runnable in 2008, despite my having to grapple with a nearly-deadly health situation, but Mr. Snippe was no closer to delivering a body than back in 2005 when one of his lackeys dropped off a nose and number two end casting while I was at the Illinois Live Steamers annual event.

As I said in my previous post, I decided to formulate a plan B, did some serious cogitation on alternatives that would get me a body and found a way to get back on track (no pun intended). Assuming I can stay marginally healthy, it will get done one way or another. See attached for an example.
Last edited by Steggy on Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
chooch

Post by chooch »

Old Vendor, New Name.
B S and E. "B" "S" and Exscuses

chooch
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

chooch wrote:Old Vendor, New Name.
B S and E. "B" "S" and Exscuses

chooch
Sadly the case, it seems.
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Bill Wilkins

Post by Bill Wilkins »

I thought this forum was about Riding Scale Railroading and not, problems with suppliers.
Plum Cove Chassis, freelance body - 2008 - Present
Wabash 569 - Allen Mogul - April 09-Jan 12
Bob Snippe Alco S-4 - Feb 12 - Apr 15
chooch

Post by chooch »

I think it IS about Riding Scale Railroads and some of the problems that go with it. I`m thankful that a very poor supplier is getting well known.

IF I had a Snippe loco I would REMOVE it from my equipment list and Not post it! I would prefer to help the cause of letting others to be aware and not be taken by someone that you can`t Believe or Trust.

Buying a Ready built Diesel locomotive is a lot different than ordering one and waiting for it to be built and delivered as promised.
chooch
Bill Wilkins wrote:I thought this forum was about Riding Scale Railroading and not, problems with suppliers.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Bill Wilkins wrote:I thought this forum was about Riding Scale Railroading and not, problems with suppliers.
Problems with suppliers is information that is as important to this hobby as how to model the stove pipe on a caboose or fix a recalcitrant injector on a steam locomotive. The hope is that anyone who is in the market for ready-to-run equipment will get their money's worth and not a run-around.
Bill Wilkins

Post by Bill Wilkins »

IF I had a Snippe loco I would REMOVE it from my equipment list and Not post it! I would prefer to help the cause of letting others to be aware and not be taken by someone that you can`t Believe or Trust.

No I am not going to remove that information. Maybe my good experience with Bob Snippe was because of ME.
Plum Cove Chassis, freelance body - 2008 - Present
Wabash 569 - Allen Mogul - April 09-Jan 12
Bob Snippe Alco S-4 - Feb 12 - Apr 15
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Bill Wilkins wrote:No I am not going to remove that information. Maybe my good experience with Bob Snippe was because of ME.
Are you implying that those who were burned by Mr. Snippe had that happen to them because of personalities?
chooch

Post by chooch »

Tell me please Mr. B W,
Did you, or did you not, buy a ready built locomotive. Perhaps listed on DLS a while ago?
Thank you.
chooch
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Ok fellows and gals,
This forum is one of the few places on the internet where posters are actually courteous to each other. Please don't ruin it by starting banging on a guy who has a different experience than you. This VENDOR IS NOT BIll Wilkens problem! He should be able to enjoy his equipment and do what ever he wants - as can we all- without being subject to flaming for what he thinks!!!

thanks,

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

My position in this matter is simple. State facts, and do not lead readers to assume anything. Make your comments politely. We have a bright readership here, generally very well mannered.

Each of our readers is entitled to know and understand which of the suppliers is not fulfilling his obligations. To that end, those who have had problems should state the problem, as it is. No flowering, not suggesting conclusions. Provide details on what has transpired, and how the problem has been resolved, assuming it has. No name calling---just the facts. That way everyone is provided enough input to draw their own conclusions as to who might be responsible. And, keep in mind, it's not always the supplier who is at fault. (No, there is no hidden message in that comment).

It is my opinion that we are obligated to speak out when we are short-changed. Otherwise, the perpetrator is allowed to continue the carnage. I would also comment that there is no acceptable reason for ANYONE to pay a deposit and then be kept in the dark in regards to a delivery date.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.