Whats in a good club track?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

lightnin

Re: Whats in a good club track?

Post by lightnin »

Hi Jason & Gang

50% pay increase?!? Way to go, Jason!

I agree with the previous posts as to what makes a nice facility. I also agree with the opinions on what makes a group socially outstanding.

Either of the Clubs you mentioned are First-Class outfits with which anyone would be proud to claim membership. I am a former member of the Kitsap club and all my experiences with them were positive. Even though we're now out of State, I'm considering re-joining in case we get back into the area for a visit.

Why not join both?

Best, Steve
I have abandoned my search for Truth,
and am now looking for a good Fantasy.
btlnco

Post by btlnco »

lightnin wrote:Hi Jason & Gang

50% pay increase?!? Way to go, Jason!

I agree with the previous posts as to what makes a nice facility. I also agree with the opinions on what makes a group socially outstanding.

Either of the Clubs you mentioned are First-Class outfits with which anyone would be proud to claim membership. I am a former member of the Kitsap club and all my experiences with them were positive. Even though we're now out of State, I'm considering re-joining in case we get back into the area for a visit.

Why not join both?

Best, Steve

Well,
I'm sure both clubs have great members, I know PNLS has a fantastic club membership.
But nothing against either club, but I'm a operations type of guy.. Both clubs seem to just go in circles.. Which is fine for some. But I need a challenge.

Real railroads don't run in circles. They move product A to destination B.
Is like to work that into a track plan. But also keep a running loop for those that like to make ” cookies” .

Cheers
Jason
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

I'm with you Jason...I like a railroad that "operates". Granted, there are still times when a joy ride is equally satisfying...but riding around in circles does get old after a while. Just remember, many clubs rely on the public to generate their revenue. As such, the circular route is the best way to introduce those folks to the hobby, take them for a ride and get 'em back to the station. They'd probably get bored having to wait for the engineer and conductor to switch cars.

There are several 7.5" railroads that have operating/switching sessions scheduled each year. They're fun to attend. Gives the railroad a purpose. Nothing like a 1/8 scale switching puzzle...and the cars are a lot bigger than HO where if you get frustrated...the big hand comes down out the sky and sets the car out. Problem is, people sometimes design their 7.5" track like a John Allen "Time-saver" switching problem. Real railroads try to avoid such track arrangements. Time is money...and the longer it takes to set cars out and pick 'em up is costing the company big time. However, there are times when switch back movements can't be avoided.

We used to do single-track, bi-directional, radio-dispatched operation type sessions at my home club. Interest died down several years ago, but now with new members...there's renewed interest. Only problem, the "track elves" removed (2) critical turnouts and about 20 feet of track. So, until those are replaced, turning trains at the other end of the railroad is not easily accomplished. This is what happens when there's little to no communication. Happy switching! Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

The most fun time I've had on a track is radio dispatched traffic on a 15" gauge loop to loop track with a yard and several sidings. Public trains were being run by the home equipment while visiting equipment ran in and amongst them. the railroad is slowly expanding, with another division going in the next few years which will add to the interest.

After the last Mesa Grande Western meet we're thinking of using radios next time to avoid cornfield meets on our large bi-directional track. We have to rent professional radios as the FRS radios do not have the range or the volume.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Spiner

Post by Spiner »

btlnco wrote:We used to do single-track, bi-directional, radio-dispatched operation type sessions at my home club. Interest died down several years ago, but now with new members...there's renewed interest. Only problem, the "track elves" removed (2) critical turnouts and about 20 feet of track. So, until those are replaced, turning trains at the other end of the railroad is not easily accomplished. This is what happens when there's little to no communication. Happy switching! Carl B.
I hate that it would come to this but but the facts need to be corrected here. No turnouts have been removed and 1 turnout has been relocated. No you can't "opperate" our railroad without throwing any switches anymore, but hey it was my understanding that throwing switches was part of opperating a railroad and it can very easily be arranged so that you wouldn't even have to get off of the train to throw the switch. Unfortunately less than half of our clubs regularlly run steam engines were able to access the service track for water and coal the way it was.
www.chaski.com
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

...if you're going to present facts, then make sure the correct facts get presented. This is what happens when there is no C-O-M-M-U-N-I-C-A-T-I-O-N...a key component in any democratically arrived at decision that includes reason, common sense and logic. Something that appears to be missing as of late.

Since you weren't around when operating sessions were conducted, you don't know how the operation was set up...or how the operation was run. So naturally, it was assumed something wasn't needed. Club members have suffered and lost something that made the club railroad unique. That operation was a nice change of pace from running around in circles. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Spiner

Post by Spiner »

It is pretty sad that you would choose to respond to me here Carl. And your facts are wrong again. Our railroad has been opperated point to point within the last year and was self dispatched. And I have participated in one of YOUR opperating sessions at ILS. I am pretty sure if you go look at your magnetic board for the railroad you will find a tag for me.
www.chaski.com
johnpenn74

Post by johnpenn74 »

Self dispatch /authorization on point to point removes the very intetaction that makes the operation interesting. It should be avoided. else the game becomes a race to see who can take the block first. I am not saying you can't operate with the lone wolf mentality, but does't that defeat the whole point a group operating session..?

Jp
John Pennington

Logging meets that actually move logs

Project
2 Mich-Cal Shays
Allen 4-4-0 Narrow Gauge Conversion
Two Reading A5a Camelback 0-4-0
USRA 0-6-0
Clishay
4 Western Wheeled Scraper NG Dump Cars
N&W 4-8-2
ICM 2-10-2
4 Modern Stake Cars
L&N Caboose
4 Big Four Conversion Gondolas

Like I'm actually gonna build all this stuff :-P
Spiner

Post by Spiner »

The only purpose for us self dispatching the railroad at that time was simply to verify that the railroad could be opperated point to point. As you can read there are individuals that are still convinced that it can't be done. I don't choose to make statements of fact unless I know for sure that they are statements of fact.
As a side note it shouldn't be a race, it should be about enjoying a common passion and intrest with friends.
www.chaski.com