baby grand on the bountyland - discover live steam article

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Harlock

Re: baby grand on the bountyland - discover live steam artic

Post by Harlock »

Hi Bob, very nice looking equipment and thanks for the update. Here is a ride-in coach we have that fits two adults and a dog in the middle. Quite comfortable to ride with a bench at each end and a drop center, and real fun to look out the windows going down the track. The drop floor is disguised visually with black paint on the outside. There is a door for it but currently removed. I am considering building one myself, this one belongs to a friend.

-M
Attachments
09-07-02_Cache-Creek-9546.jpg
09-07-02_Cache-Creek-9558.jpg
09-07-02_Cache-Creek-9564.jpg
09-07-02_Cache-Creek-9566.jpg
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
uncle bob

Post by uncle bob »

That is indeed a great looking coach! I had seen the first shot somewhere and always wished for more views. Thanks.

BLRY hopes to roster a coach soon, maybe next year. This is the design. 8ft long, 2ft wide, 5ft tall.
It will seat 3. The two end seats to face inward and the middle to be reversable. 2 swing-out doors, like automobile doors, per side.

The caboose will have 1 sliding door on 1 side only and will seat 1 adult. It too, like the engine and coach, will be about 5ft tall, overall.
I have been running 5ft tall equipment for over a year now and have had NO tipping problems, even with my tight (25ft rad) curves. BUT we run S-L-O-W-L-Y. Why hurry? Even the expanded version will still be a rather small lap and slow running makes it seem longer.

Uncle Bob
Attachments
3-8ft coach-clearstory-3 passenger.JPG
uncle bob

Post by uncle bob »

M,
Playing with your design a bit........Doesn't it make a great looking little caboose?
Attachments
As a caboose.JPG
tomc

Post by tomc »

ours will seat two and the seat goes up and down for the best view out the cupola windows.

Tom C.
Attachments
3-#559 Rt 3_4  04-07-12.jpg
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
uncle bob

Post by uncle bob »

Tom, no doubt about it, that is a truely fabolous caboose!

I like ALL the SR&CL stuff! Fact is, it was seeing pictures of SR&CL that got me thinking about the possibility of riding IN rather than, the more usual, riding ON.

But I have chosen a somewhat different path. As much as I admire scale models, (And I do! Scale model railroading has been my passion for over 50 years.) my aim is to creatre "actual" 1 to 1 narrow gauge on 7 1/2in track. That is, to design from the inside out with fully upright, comfortable seating and easy entry/exit. The result is not, nor is it intended to be, "models" but rather, very small but actual prototype. I therefore do not include "scale" steps, roof-walks, grab irons, etc. Everything that is there is included for an actual, practical, 1 to 1 reason.
I do however strive for an overall look that "connects" with the traditions of conventional railroading styles. Not "stylized". Not "whimsical". But FUNCTIONAL, yet with enough traditional flair to be commonly recognizable by the general public.

None of this is in any intended as a criticism of the almost universal scale model approach.

I'm just going a somewhat different way and I'm finding that, for me at least, it is working quite well.
dwilloughby

Post by dwilloughby »

Wonder what Baldwin, Alco, or Lima would have built for a 7+ gauge railroad?
uncle bob

Post by uncle bob »

THAT is an excellent question.
I'd expect they would have sized down one of their larger designs. But how the product was to be used would have likely been the most important consideration. That they DIDN'T build 7+ tells us that no one ever actually had a practical "work-use" for such a small system even though my gondola will hold close to 1/4 ton of gravel.
The only practical use I could see for narrow gauge this small is hauling people for their amusement. This is why I have chosen to set up my railroad as a micro tourist line. Tourist lines and working railway museums sometimes move cars about for display and/or to teach procedure. I'll do this too. This is similar to conventional model railroad operation except I'm not asking anyone to pretend that it's "real". The procedures will be real but that's the extent of it.
twainmanbg

Post by twainmanbg »

Hi there uncle Bob,
I have finally sorted out my thinking as to what gauge to go and I am going 10.1/4" gauge, but still in the baby grand style, in fact I am basing my loco on "Old Yeller" as I think it's a great concept,an articulated diesel loco. I hope all is well with you and yours and I will post photo's as I get going, summer is too hot for working outside. cheers, Richard.
uncle bob

Post by uncle bob »

Richard, I've been running my articulated gas mechanical for about a year and a half now and I am nothing but pleased with it! I don't see how you could go wrong with the articulated tractor / cab concept. Basically, it's an engine (the tractor) pulling a riding car with a roof (the cab). there is no ballance transfer between units and the locomotive can be quite long and still navigate sharp curves with ease. :P

Uncle Bob
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

For the ride-in fans: I notice that FredV's locomotive that I mentioned earlier is now for sale on DLS:

http://discoverlivesteam.com/discoverfo ... /index.htm

-M
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
uncle bob

Post by uncle bob »

Bountyland Railway is undergoing a make-over. The red gas mechanical (46) and big red coach have been sold in order to finance the start of our new system.

BLRY will be more "scale-like" based on Maine, 2 foot narrow gauge but will continue to be a "RIDE INSIDE" layout.

The gondola fits in with the new version but NEW MOTIVE POWER in being built. This is our #11, a steam outline, battery powered Forney. This was shot a while back and we've made progress since then.

Bob Springs
Attachments
Our New Forney.jpg
uncle bob

Post by uncle bob »

A more recent shot.
BLRY #11.jpg
[attachment=0]

Bob Springs