baby grand on the bountyland - discover live steam article

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

btlnco

baby grand on the bountyland - discover live steam article

Post by btlnco »

Hey all ,

just read the latest article on discover live steam. Baby grand on the bountyland.

The idea intrigues me a bit. Full size railroad on 7.5” narrow gauge track.

Any comments, , opinions?

Cheers
Jason
btlnco

Re: baby grand on the bountyland - discover live steam artic

Post by btlnco »

http://www.discoverlivesteam.com/magazine/199/index.htm

Here is the link to the article.

Jason
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Perhaps it is an April Fools joke?
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
btlnco

Post by btlnco »

Benjamin Maggi wrote:Perhaps it is an April Fools joke?
I don't think so, send to be legit.. When meant full size, I mean 12” = a foot full size.. Just narrow gauge at 7.5”

Cheers
Jason
tomc

Post by tomc »

Hi Jason, We do that on the Sandy Ridge and enjoy being in the engine or caboose instead of on it. You will find we are a small minority in the live steam community and aren't followed to much. The 2.5 inch scale folks are using the gauge for their models and it is working real well for them but they still have to be on top.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Steve Easlon offers a ride-in diesel critter and also built this riding car to go with it.

The trick is to make them very heavy on the bottom and set up the trucks correctly, then you will have no tipping problems.

Fred_V on this board has also built a ride-in steam locomotive. It is similar to 'Claudine', a ride-in locomotive at the Beer Heights Railway in the UK. The latter has an optionally removable roof. The red one below is Fred's.

Jack's #9 is very large but not a proper ride-in engine with footwells. You have to sit cross legged if you want to be on the floor, or you're up on the removable seat and not 'in' the engine.

Those are the major examples I am personally aware of outside of the Sandy Ridge RR, there are a couple more out there here and there. It's actually been interesting in this thread to collect them all together.

The Sandy Ridge follows the very 'vertically stretched' aesthetic of which there are a few more examples of in Europe and one oddball home track in Japan. I'll have to dig those up again.

-Mike
Attachments
13-02-16_BCWRR-5943.jpg
13-02-16_BCWRR-6139.jpg
0071e.jpg
claudine.jpg
Last edited by Harlock on Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Also, to drive my point home about #9, here is a photo of a larger person in it. It's a fantastic engine but I would not put it in the same category.
Attachments
09-08-08_Bitter_Creek_Narrow_Gauge_09-0065.jpg
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

I've driven Jim Small's Maxi-Lucky 7, (now on the SR ) and it fit me OK. It feels wierd having feet outside the boiler, but it was easy enough to drive. I'm 6', and at the time something like 225 lbs, so I'm no small individual. (I drove when it was a 7.25" guage loco....at RHLS)

James Powell
uncle bob

Post by uncle bob »

Benjamin Maggi wrote:Perhaps it is an April Fools joke?
:lol: Don't blame Benjamin for thinking Bountyland Railway was an April fool's joke, after all, it was, I think, the April issue of DLS and it is a rather quirkey idea.

But I assure you, BLRY is the real deal and I am totally pleased with how things are working out. Unit one (Old Yeller) has been repainted and we are in the midst of a major track expansion. The caboose is in the shop for a complete make-over.

I'm new here so as soon as I figure out how I'll post pictures. Anyone interested in the RIDE IN on 7 1/2 (or 7 1/4) concept, please feel free to contact me!

Uncle Bob
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

uncle bob wrote:I'm new here so as soon as I figure out how I'll post pictures.
Simple. They are posted as attachments.
I'm assuming you are using subsilver2, which is the default board choice. If so, just below the box in which you enter your comments to make a post, you'll see a broad blue line, which says within Upload attachment. Below that line you'll see a button, Choose File. Click that button, which will then allow you to access your pictures. Select the one you wish to post and click Add the file. Repeat if you wish to add more pictures.
You have the option of placing pictures in line, in the sequence of your choosing. To do so, place the cursor where you wish to have the picture, and select the picture. If you do not use this feature, your pictures will be displayed in reverse order from which they are uploaded, with the last one being first.

Note that you can also link pictures to the board which are hosted off the Chaski board by posting the requisite link.

Welcome to the board.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
uncle bob

Post by uncle bob »

Thanks Harold,
This is BLRY's new "Marlboro" paint scheme.
(note: unit #1 renumbered: "46")
Attachments
Marlboro paint.JPG
Last edited by uncle bob on Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
uncle bob

Post by uncle bob »

And this is my plan for the caboose make-over.
Note that the sliding door opening extends up to include the cupola. The conductor's view is out the cupola windows. The small side windows give light onto the conductor's desk and add a bit of scale look but there will be no "scale" details. Everything will be sized "full size"; 1 to 1 scale.
And yes, I am able to ride the end platforms. See the white hand-grabs on roof.
Attachments
Copy of Rebuilt caboose, BLRY #308.JPG
Last edited by uncle bob on Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.